• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop layers mask questions (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am trying to understand PS3:egghead:
Some things are clicking but I'm struggling with layers/masks......may I explain.
I attach a photo I am using for an exercise.
As an exercise I want to turn the back-ground to black&white while leaving the flower red-I want to do this with layers/mask etc.
I have tried various methods but with no success.....could someone kindly (and more importantly-simply) give me the basic steps to follow.
Thanks
edit
I can achieve the result by using a) magic wand b) invert image c) de-saturate but I want to learn layers/masks

Attachments

• Flower for PS .JPG
    Flower for PS .JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Very similar to what you have done David,probably the quickest and easiest way is:~ use your quick mask tool to paint the flower only,load selection ,inverse ,desaturate .
Lynda .com have some great tutorials,worth a google.

Very similar to what you have done David,probably the quickest and easiest way is:~ use your quick mask tool to paint the flower only,load selection ,inverse ,desaturate .
Lynda .com have some great tutorials,worth a google.

Thanks Bob-however that doesn't tell me how to use layers/masks. I only put that photo on so I could follow any advice given and learn layers/masks.
I will look on the web site you suggest.

Thanks Bob-however that doesn't tell me how to use layers/masks. I only put that photo on so I could follow any advice given and learn layers/masks.
I will look on the web site you suggest.

Sorry I presumed you knew where the Quick mask tool and the layers pallette were,there is an excellent help directory within Photoshop itself.

Use what ever you are confortamble with to select the area, (magic wand, pen tool or quick mask/paintbrush would all work) then in the Layers palette select a new "Black & White" Adjustment Layer.

You can the adjust the black and white conversion and use the paintbrush tool or "refine edges" to tinker with the mask.

David,
The technique we ran through yesterday should work fine on this image. Just use a b/w or channel mixer adjustment layer instead of the copy layer and gaussian blur that we used.
What I forgot to mention is that you can adjust the hardness of the brush in the drop down menu. In the same way that feathering a selection will give a smooth transition so will a soft edged brush, a hard edged brush will give a very sharp transition.

Use what ever you are confortamble with to select the area, (magic wand, pen tool or quick mask/paintbrush would all work) then in the Layers palette select a new "Black & White" Adjustment Layer.

You can the adjust the black and white conversion and use the paintbrush tool or "refine edges" to tinker with the mask.

I am new to PS myself, and have just tried this method, and it works for me, I just wish i understood the rest of PS3 as I have seen some amazing things done with it!

I will keep playing!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back