• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds spread bush Fires!! (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

Any-one see this in the Times today. May not be true but a great story.

Apparently there are multiple reports of birds in Australia picking up embers/burning twigs and dropping them onto areas that are not on fire. It is thought that this is deliberate as the same species; black kite and brown falcon have been seen dropping bread into waterholes and then hunting the fish attracted by the bread.

That's cool

When I was a kid... and I'm talking under 7, I had a book about nature, and it had a chapter called something like birds are firebrands. It was about birds deliberately spreading fires.

Yep sounds right

In Aus we do planned burns to minimise the effect of wildfire. Raptors especially Black Kites have learned this and hawk patrolled burns. So when a burn produces little prey for them they will pick up a charred stick and reignite a fire elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back