• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whoopers moving en masse (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

This morning was bright and fairly calm down ont' Prom, and for once this year I was there early (0630 hours). Last year similar early starts in March had produced flocks of 75 and 68 Whoopers heading north over the sea, and I have to say I was fairly hopeful in the conditions. What I did see surpassed my expectations.

Even though they were some way out I could hear the throng distantly when I couldn't see them in the scope. Putting the scope to one side I could see a 'white mist' with the naked eye. A flock which I subsequently estimated at 175 birds headed north over the Irish Sea, a fantastic sight.

Hopefully they pick their days right, as the thought of such a large group flying through an offshore wind farm in mist is worrying to say the least.

Stephen.

Last edited:
And you know where they're heading Stephen don't you? I'll keep an eye out for them tomorrow! They have been known to do the trip here in 17 hours. Pretty good going! Whoopers have been arriving here in good numbers during the week apparently and soon every field in southern Iceland will be full of them. It would be great if a few Bewick's came along with them!

Seeing a flock of wildfowl upping and leaving, whether it be Brent Geese here in May heading off to the Canadian Arctic, or a flock of Greenland White-fronts heading south to the UK in October is one of the greatest sights in birding for me. I remember seeing a massive flock of Brents last May heading very high and west and thought of the trip ahead of them over the Greenland icecap before they reach their breeding grounds. What an incredible phenomenon migration is.

E

Yes Edward I know where they are heading, but as you suggest it takes nothing from the sheer spectacle to know where they are going and when.

Do they arrive on Iceland in flocks of this size or are they likely to disperse en route? If they leave Lancashire at first light and take 17 hours I suppose it might be dark when they arrive if they go direct!

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen, it must have been a great sighting, fingers crossed they make it unharmed!!

Stephen,might just add here,that these birds were noted on the board in the hide here ,at Hodbarrow,also some Pink Footed,and it was mentioned that 3 Sandwich Terns were spotted on Haverigg beach,it seems very early ,as someone commented in the hide,but it was there on the board,oh,and the Eiders have returned and there is a very large flock of Shellducks.

Just thought to add,there was a very large Goose in the river today,all on his/her own.He was the size of a Canada/Greylag,pure white except for black markings down the top of his neck,ie along the back of his neck towards his back/shoulders.The markings stopped before they reached his shoulders.He had an orange beak,could not see his feet as they were in the water.He was calling all the time he was swimming down the river,and had been there all day.So would he be a cross with either a Canada/Greylag.I felt really sorry for him.He had been following a pair of Swans who do nest at the top of the river and who are now swimming up and down until they start to build their nest.He was obviously very lonely.

Last edited:
hi stephen , glad your early start paid off early dawn in winter or summer is a special time off day , have seen hundreds of whoopers leaving there roost at welney to go out on to the fields to feed often under a firery sky a sight to behold,

hi edward , what a lucky guy you are all our pinks heading back to you for the summer , say hi to them from me , and hurry back , already missing there wild calls

Christine - no, it is about the right time for the first Sandwich Terns.

Derekjake - there will still be a 1000 or so Pinkfeet here in early May but most will be on their way soon. Watching them come off Pilling Marsh on a winter morning is always special.

Stephen.

You lucky people near the coast - if you only knew what a difference a bit of coastline makes!

I had heard that the Bewicks left for Russia a week or so back and that the whoopers would follow soon to Iceland and elsewhere. We still have a single one in a nearby field I'm told. I was going to see it tomorrow - but I expect it might already have left.

Steve,

I am always eternally grateful to live near the coast, except in autumn when I am generally sulking about it not being the east coast!

Stephen.

Yes - I expect out of birding choice, the East coast has most of what it needs. But Blackpool has something else, too! In comparison, Leicestershire is a bit of a birding desert, I suppose - but that makes those little sightings all the more exciting. It was a thrill on Wednesday to see my first chiffchaff!

A good strong tailwind, and they'll be able to shave quite a lot off that 17 hours - read about a flock of Whoopers heading the other way, which used a 100mph northerly jetstream to cut the journey time to about 6 hours. They'd climbed to 8000 metres altitude to get the strongest winds . . . tough birds, it's -50°C, and less than one third sea level air pressure up there :eek!:

Michael

Hi Stephen
I'm not sure if these flocks splinter much on migration but I've seen fairly large groups come in off the sea so perhaps they do stick together.

Interesting figures Michael. I've heard that before about Whoopers flying at 8,000 metres! However, the bird that was radio-tagged from Ireland to Iceland in 17 hours didn't fly more than 15 metres above the sea! I found that very surprising.

I'll look out for your Pink-feet, derekjake, and pass on your regards. I expect to see some the weekend after next in southern Iceland. They usually spend a couple of weeks grazing on the lowlands before heading into the interior to breed.

E

Hi Stephen,

I think your Whoopers have arrived. Over 800 arrived at a single site in SE Iceland yesterday! Greylags also streaming in, first Pink-feet seen yesterday and thousands of Redwings arriving in off the sea in the south-east.

E

Last edited:
hi edward , glad to hear the first pinks have arrived back with you , its interesting to see how spot on you were with the time you expected them back . here we always look for the first ones back about the 14th september , how are things looking as far as the breeding area were they are building the dam , with your local knowledge do you think it will cause problems for the pinks, great news also about the whoopers and greylags

Hi Derek,

The main breeding area for Pink-feet has been reprieved for the time being and the other area in the east where they are building a dam has yet to be flooded but will almost certainly have a negative impact on the breeding population there. See more info here http://www.fuglavernd.is/enska/home.html

There are steady south-easterlies blowing at the moment so we should see a lot more geese arriving in the next few days. Here in Reykjavík, however, it continues to snow but Pale-bellied Brent numbers were up overnight on the outskirts of the city.

E

Sandwich Terns

Hi Christine

I had a Sandwich Tern flying north past Stevenston Point (North Ayrshire, Scotland) on Wednesday 24 March and there has been at least one more sighting from the same place since then.

regards
Gordon

hi edward , many thanks for the web site , it sure makes interesting reading , sorry to hear about the snow we have just had our first taste of spring , very warm and sunny ,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back