• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400mm lens (1 Viewer)

Question:

I'm looking to purchase a Canon 400mm lens. Which is the best company to buy from with regards to price. I don't particularly want to buy a Grey Imported lens. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

do check the prices at the noted retailers however - sometimes cameraprice buster does not update them so sometimes a price can be more or less than they list. Its a good place to start and gives you an idea of the market cost - but do double check.

I know a lot of people have nothing but positive stuff to say about Kerso, but I had no joy whatsoever a year ago when trying to contact him and order a lens. Maybe he was out of the country... I got frustrated and spent 3 grand elsewhere.

Camerapricebuster don't list the Simplyelectronics prices - a hundred quid cheaper than their cheapest listing (see http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=670) - I bought another L series lens from them in the past fortnight - excellent communication, and arrived quickly. Well-impressed.

ce

I've heard mixed things about simply electronics - some good some not so good, but I've never dealt with them direct so can't say for sure.

As for Kerso the only complaints I have seen (when checking through his ebay a while ago) was that sometimes lens postage can take a little longer - sometimes when he is on holiday and othertimes when the package does not make it in a single day or two. Other than that the only notable comment is that he tends not to do much chitchat in correspondance - very much short and to the point (not rude).
I also notice that his shop on ebay tends to go through restocking/dead periods (its having one now infact) where nothing is listed for sale.

I've heard mixed things about simply electronics - some good some not so good, but I've never dealt with them direct so can't say for sure.

I think the lesson here is that one will hear good and bad about just about any retailer, be it a private individual like Kerso or an online retailer like Simply Electronics. ;)

Simply Electronics seemed a little too good to be true when I followed one of their online banner ads to their site, and I was suspicious of the cheap prices. (You know, the old adage of if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is!) That said, the guy at the desk next to me in our office bought a DO lens from them with no trouble a few weeks ago, so I decided to give them a try (Kerso was the only UK-based Ebayer who came close in price for the L lens I wanted, but he'd unwittingly burnt his bridges with me last year so wasn't in the running for my cash).

I was pleased with how it went. Regular emails at every step of the transaction, and the lens I wanted at rather less than the eye-watering Canon RRP!

ce

The OP did say he didn't want a grey import so from my understanding that would rule out Kerso and Simply Electronics

Simply Electronics is an online retailer, but is a registered company based in the UK on the Isle of Wight. This was the address on my invoice:

Simply Electronics Limited
The Innovation Centre
St Cross Business Park, Monks Brook
Newport
ISLE OF WIGHT
PO30 5WB.

My understanding is that their lenses are no less legitimate than those offered by other UK-registered camera outlets. They just appear to take less margin.

The concept of a 'grey import' is a fallacy anyway, as Canon offer an international warranty on their lenses. It matters not a jot insofar as warranty cover goes where you buy the lens.

ce

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/terms.php

Registered company yes, but not in the UK.

If you've got a Canon warranty card with the lens then fine but if another manufacturer doesn't issue a international warranty then there could be problems. And under warranty in the t&c they mention their products come with an 'in house warranty'

From what's said on other forums the IOW address is a returns address replacing the private house that was simply electronics address in the uk a year ago

Simply Electronics is an online retailer, but is a registered company based in the UK on the Isle of Wight. This was the address on my invoice:

Simply Electronics Limited
The Innovation Centre
St Cross Business Park, Monks Brook
Newport
ISLE OF WIGHT
PO30 5WB.

My understanding is that their lenses are no less legitimate than those offered by other UK-registered camera outlets. They just appear to take less margin.

The concept of a 'grey import' is a fallacy anyway, as Canon offer an international warranty on their lenses. It matters not a jot insofar as warranty cover goes where you buy the lens.

ce

hmmm, have a read of those T&Cs and it becomes very clear that they are not a UK company and are selling grey imports. The section about taxes makes it clear that the goods are sent from abroad (Hong Kong in this case) and that the buyer will be resposible for any and all taxes (import duty and VAT). Now if you get caught for those the price will probably end up being higher than if you bought an officially imported lens. As the buyer you have a resposabiliy to declare the purchase to HMRC and pay duty and VAT, if you don't do this and you get found out they can charge you it retrospectively and they also have the right to seize the goods...

The fact that these items come from overseas and do not include taxes is the reason for the lower price, it's not that they are making a lower margin. If a company selling officially imported Canon products charged those prices they would be making a loss.

As a general rule, anyone offering a top end camera product significantly cheaper than the 'usual suspects' are in the UK, there's a good chance it's grey.

Knowing a few things about the margins these items don't attract, they are normally cut to the bone already due to the competitive nature of the market so taking less margin is unfortunately rarely an option open to a competitive UK dealer. Someone going well under what is offered by the UK's main big name dealers can usually be treated with a slight degree of suspicion.

Dave.

After reading the thread and the posters requirements, I would still go with kerso, think all his stock comes via USA, I have bought from UK outlets paid top prices, I have bought form Hong Kong and the middle east and paid verygood prices, and I have bought from kerso and paid reasonable prices, and from all of them I have never had to use the 1 year guarantee, and when they are secondhand the price will be the going price for that piece of equipment, weather its from the middle east, china, HK, ebay, UK
If you got loads of dosh, it does not matter how much you pay.......

The thing to remember with Ian is that he is basically a one man business so you will not get 24/7 attention like a big company but that is a price you have to pay for getting a good deal.

Mmm! I'd have thought that being a one-man business it is doubly important, infact essential, that you that the service that you offer is exemplary - it's what sets you apart from the big company.

Having said that I have never used this importer and when buying something as important and expensive as a 500/4 I would always go for a retailer that ofers me after sales service. Forget about the so-called international guarantee, your contract is with the retailer. If it goes wrong he has to sort it.

Mmm! I'd have thought that being a one-man business it is doubly important, infact essential, that you that the service that you offer is exemplary - it's what sets you apart from the big company.

Having said that I have never used this importer and when buying something as important and expensive as a 500/4 I would always go for a retailer that ofers me after sales service. Forget about the so-called international guarantee, your contract is with the retailer. If it goes wrong he has to sort it.
I was just trying relate my personal experience with Kerso and to address an earlier comment as to why he sometimes takes a time to answer emails as he travels a lot to the States and takes the occasional holiday. As you find my post not to your liking I have humbly removed it and removed my subscription to the thread :t:

Roy,

You simply cannot accuse me of not liking your post, you infer that I am some sort of cyber bully. I was merely pointing out to the OP what I look for in a camera equipment retailer, again addressing points made by the OP.

I have no business with Mr Kerso and will not be disparaging about his business.

Personally speaking as someone who travels extensively for work, not responding to emails is no longer an acceptable excuse for poor service. With the advent of smart phones it is so easy to keep in touch with your customers.

This message submitted from my iPhone to prove just that point.

ce

If you buy a Sigma lens from outside the UK/EU you will not be able to have any warranty work done on a grey import free of charge in the UK, you will be charged or directed to go back to your supplier.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back