• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cats - How to protect your birds from them (1 Viewer)

wroughtiron

Patriotic User
Greetings fellow birders, I just wanted to post this new thread to let you know about a cat repellent I was using with great success. Its called Shake-Away and they have a formula specifically forumulated for cats. Basically, its a granular deterrent containing the scent (urine) of the fox and the coyote. You just sprinkle this deterrent anywhere you want to keep cats away. I sprinkle mine on the ground around nestboxes and feeder poles. It's 100% safe to use around children, pets and plants. It will not harm birds if they accidentally ingest one of the granules and I have been using it for awhile and I have not experienced any problems. However, I have noticed that no cats are hanging around :)

Here is a link for more information.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-repellent.php#

Attachments

• catrepellent.jpg
    catrepellent.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Thank you for the post Wroughtiron, hope it works on English cats have just placed my order on line, will try anything and I mean anything.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Ann Chaplin

What does actually work?

I've just installed a range of bird feeders into the garden, together with a good-sized table. Already after day-one, I have a cat problem.

What is the best way to keep the cats away (apart from an air rifle!!)

I've seen a number of motion detectors advertised which emit ultra-sonic warnings when cats (or any other mammals approach).

Does anyone know if these things work?

Kevin

Kevin, Wroughtiron has suggested the best thing..it really works. It also will keep raccoons, dogs, squirrels, rabbits and deer away if anyone has a problem with those. The 'urine' is of a natural enemy and since most animals react to scent, they will stay clear if they think they are venturing into enemy territory...

That horrible, finely ground, cheap white pepper sprinkled around helps, as does a liberal dose of slug pellets, but both tend to suffer from rainfall which we get from time to time up here! Both also help keep mice in the garden and away from the living room!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back