• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US Midwest, grackle (1 Viewer)

They look like Great-tailed Grackles to me. Maybe the light breast is just the way that female is pigmented or a trick of the light

thanks everyone for the replies. initially, I had been thinking it might not be a grackle at all. it was taken at a lake in a city park with many small trees.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the replies. i was thinking it might not be a grackle at all. it was taken at a lake in a city park with many small trees.

I think Great-tailed is right, from my experiences with its cousin the Boat-tailed Grackle.

Last edited:
Just a piece of advice: when someone wonders where they are taken, the first answer probably should include the state and city/town, and only secondly to that, the type of habitat ;)

with friendly regards
Niels

I would go with Great-tailed as well. The female Boat-tailed is pretty evenly colored and does not have that obvious color difference between bottom and top. Also, the flat head is a good fieldmark. Boat-tailed Grackle males have a much more rounded head shape. Finally, the shape of the bill and length relative to the head is a good indicator for Great-tailed Grackle.

Ignoring the obvious size differences (and the fact that Boat-tailed Grackles do not make it very far inland at all), the head shape and bills are great identifiers. GTG on left, BTG on right.

Attachments

• grackles.jpg
    grackles.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 68
Thanks yet again for the replies. In terms of grackle behaviour, i'm wondering about the tail conformation. Sometimes the feathers are held in a deep vee, and sometimes they are heald flat. I would think it might be for flight control, but it also varies when they are walking around ... so maybe it is part of their body language? Any ideas?

tia,
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back