• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping a catch? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Dunning

I was just sat watching my 125w MVTB Skinners Trap
(which i operate through my open shed door from just inside to protect it from the elements and keep moths in)
and it seemed to me that the couple of moths flying around it were slamming into the sides and the lamp then when they felll in they'd just rattle about abit then fly out.
Is it somthing to do with how ive aranged my egg boxes?
Ive never had this trouble before, but then again i may just have never noticed.

Cheers all

Somewhere on another thread there is a picture of how someone had built a couple of flanges hanging down from the bottom edges of the sloping glass lids to act as a baffle for moths inside the skinner. However, I don't think there is a totally fool-proof system to stop moths escaping. Plenty of egg boxes would certainly help. Even with a Robinson moths do escape.
Ken

The moths that come out from the trap again while it is still running, usually stay near the trap. I take a quick look around and the moths I find outside the trap I just put back in and then seal the gap before I turn it off. Works great for me, I haven't seen a moth at night that has been gone in the morning in a long time now.

Hi Jamie

I think part of the problem has to be related to running the trap in the shed doorway, although Skinner traps are notorious for loosing moths more easily than, say, a Robinson trap.

Could you upload a picture of your trap in situ? It would then be easier to offer some helpful suggestions.

Best wishes

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back