• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hiking Boots (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I plan to have a look in the New Year Sales for a new pair of hiking boots. My current ones are erm... well have seen better days and no longer keep my feet dry.

Any recommendations - not too heavy as the mud will add an extra few pounds :eek!:

D

I swear by my Brashers Delia.
Nice fitting, keep my feet dry and warm, even in the coldest wettest weather. Not a heavyweight boot at all

Very difficult to recommend certain brands/models with out you actually trying them.I've tried out some quite expensive boots in the store and I average about one out of three pairs that I find truly comfortable!

My old trezeta boots were always very reliable,lasted about two years with no cracking across the crease lines,one of the very few boots that I have managed to wear down the tread before the rest of the boot started to come apart at the seams!,those cost me about £70.

Do you have a millets store near you?,they usually have a good selection
at reasonable prices.

Brands to look for (that generaly get good reviews in walking mags)
are meindl,brasher,scarpa etc.

Best of luck with those sales,(rather you than me) ;)

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks Keith - I'll look out for Brashers

Yes, Matt - there's a Millets in Perth, also a very good independent, I was planning on checking out both stores.

Teretza - I've not heard of them I'll check them out too.

D

Boots

delia todd said:
Thanks Keith - I'll look out for Brashers

Yes, Matt - there's a Millets in Perth, also a very good independent, I was planning on checking out both stores.

Teretza - I've not heard of them I'll check them out too.

D

Hi,

boots I use on trekking on vacation and always every weekend in the alps.
I decided for Hanwag Alaska. Use them since more then 5 years.
Very convinient, reliaable, but not cheap.

Best regards
Dieter

My wife and I both wear Brashers and are very happy. They keep the feet warm and dry and are not too heavy. In the summer I wear my Brasher walking shoes when it is wet underfoot.

Delia,

Suggest you check out Berghaus as well. Having had a pair that have done 15 years good service in Europe and the tropics I cannot fault them.

Most important thing is to get the correct sort of boot for the type of hiking you are doing. If it's just for lowland walks, woodland, small rounded hills, then I've heard the brashers are very good if you want something light. If you want to go up munros in Scotland, especially the more rocky ones in the west, then you need something more solid with good ankle support. But you probably know that already if you live in Blairgowrie! Scarpa have always been my fave, but Berghaus, Meindl and Zamberlain make similar things and are all high quality. Graham Tisos usually give very good advice and probably have the best selection if you can get to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

neeb said:
Most important thing is to get the correct sort of boot for the type of hiking you are doing. If it's just for lowland walks, woodland, small rounded hills, then I've heard the brashers are very good if you want something light. If you want to go up munros in Scotland, especially the more rocky ones in the west, then you need something more solid with good ankle support. But you probably know that already if you live in Blairgowrie! Scarpa have always been my fave, but Berghaus, Meindl and Zamberlain make similar things and are all high quality. Graham Tisos usually give very good advice and probably have the best selection if you can get to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Hi Delia

You should be able to get Brashers from Hoggs of Fife (now Fife Country) at Strathmiglo, which is not to far from you. See here: -

http://www.fifecountry.co.uk/PRODUCT_DETAILS.php?pid=62&cid=34

Cheers

Stuart R

delia todd said:
I plan to have a look in the New Year Sales for a new pair of hiking boots. My current ones are erm... well have seen better days and no longer keep my feet dry.

Any recommendations - not too heavy as the mud will add an extra few pounds :eek!:

D

I have 2 pair which I really like. A pair of Clark's Desert boots for dry, sandy climates and a pair of Clark's Cedars w/ Goretex which I dearly love. Good looking, durable and very comfortable. I can't reccomend Clark's (the English company) enough.

Jaeger near Chicago

Jaeger01 said:
I have 2 pair which I really like. A pair of Clark's Desert boots for dry, sandy climates and a pair of Clark's Cedars w/ Goretex which I dearly love. Good looking, durable and very comfortable. I can't reccomend Clark's (the English company) enough.

Jaeger near Chicago
With all due respect to Clark's, their boots are nowhere near in the same league as good quality Berghaus, Scarpa, Meindl etc IMHO - they just aren't built to take the same degree of punishment from the terrain and the weather. They will happily double up for wearing to work, or on the high street in a way that Scarpa et al don't.... but if you're looking for long-lasting boots to tackle manky conditions day in, day out, then I'd steer clear.

Thanks for all your input guys - you've given me plenty of makes to look out for.

Stewart: Thanks for the link, I'd forgotten about Hoggs, they used to have a shop in Perth but it closed some years ago now. Looks like a visit to Vane Farm will be on the cards then

D

Suppose I better put a word in for my company... ;)

Tiso on Rose Street in Edinburgh has about the best selection of boots you'll find, and (obviously) the staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We'll spend as long as it takes to get a boot that fits, often running into hours! It's quite rare that a customer goes away unhappy.

Worth the journey I reckon :)

Thanks Paul, another brand added to my list.

Oh and Laura, I'd expect personal service of course ;)

D

Actually I use Meindl too and love them, but they were pricey even with staff discount!

'Fraid I don't work on that floor Delia... Would make sure you got the best though! ;)

I managed to get a new and unused pair of meindl boots at less than half price on ebay.The half size extra is a very good idea and having worn them a while i wouldnt hesitate to pay full retail price when the time comes.

Im sure some other companies mentioned have boots as good or better,what a difference after years of being a cheapskate.l;l

If in the UK...

It might be worth checking out your local branch of T.K. Max. It's a bit of a lottery but they usually have at least 4/5 different types of walking boots from different brands; last week I found Goretex-lined Zamberlans for £40 along with various others between £30 and £60. The problem of course is whether they'll have your size!!

I guess it depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to pay. I tend to use these - All Seasons Highlander Yard Boot

Waterproof, light weight, easy to put on and durable and at £19.99 not brand name extortinate in price.

I've walked for miles in them both hiking 5-8 miles and ideal for on the beach where I've spent a lot of time this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back