• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serious Western Palearctic Trip THIS May (1 Viewer)

Benedict Macdonald

England
I am a keen WP traveller and tend to run tightly-organised, intense WP birding trips. Think GPS for all sites, the latest 2015 gen, 6 hours sleep maximum and a lot of travel over the course of a week. Just returned from Israel, with 40 lifers and 160 species in 7 days, from Steppe Eagles in Eilat to Great-spotted Eagles in the north and almost every target species seen in between.

I am setting aside the second way in May for a 7 full day trip to either Morocco or Turkey. At this stage, it doesn't matter which, as both are planned. Currently however the FCO advise against all but essential travel to some key areas in Turkey, such as Gazientep, and much of the east, so Morocco is looking the most likely.

Having birded Morocco twice before, my targets are specific but I know the country well and feel confident I can achieve them. The trip would consist of 2-3 days in the north, 2 travel days to Western Sahara, then back to Marrakech. My personal target species for the trip are:

NORTH: Andalucian Hemipode (2014-15 gen), Iberian Chiffchaff, Marsh Owl, Francolin, Pied Crow (if available), Atlas Pied Flycatcher. Happy to build in species within the north itinerary.

MID REGIONS: Dupont's Lark, White-rumped Swift, Crimson-winged Finch. Will not be doing the classic areas, but some outstanding areas for Thick-billed Lark and other specialities as we head south. Happy to incorporate the Agadir specials - Bald Ibis, Tchagra, Martin - for those who haven't seen them.

WESTERN SAHARA. Cue an epic drive south, shared between people. We'll do cheap hostels the rest of the time but this will be hard work, no questions. Stop off Daklha then Aousserd - same old route, working to latest (Mar 2015) gen and this will be followed up with many phone calls before we get there.

Please check out my Morocco 2010 trip report online for an idea of how I work, which tends to be very logical but good fun. I'm very easy with personalities, don't mind who I get provided they're really committed to seeing new birds, prepared to share long drives, and preferably enjoy a good pint and banter.

Please PM me if interested - short notice, I know, but rewarding,

Best

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back