• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Karoo Long-billed Lark vs Karoo Lark? (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
We had this sent to us here at BF, can anyone validate these claims?
cheers,
Andy

You have a misidentified photograph in your gallery:
The "Karoo Long-billed Lark, Certhilauda subcoronata"
submitted by mybs, is in fact a

Karoo Lark, Calendulauda albescens, probably the
western Karoo form, but certainly not a Long-billed
Karoo L.

Karoo L occurs on sand as shown, that matches the
colour of the bird, as shown. The various Long-billed
species, including Karoo Long-billed are found in rocky
habitats.

Among the toucans there is also an apparent mismatch
between title and photo. White-throated I think

Andy,
I recall this photo. At the time it was uploaded there was a question of race assignation due to a split of the Long-billed Larks as a group. However, Rasmus commented at that time that he had doubts as to it's ID because the bill length did not seem to be that expected for a Long-billed Lark. I have looked at my Karoo Lark photos and concur with it being a missed ID. This should be race cavei (or race codea if using the Howard & Moore), but for this Database it must be uploaded as Certhilauda albescens. Calendulauda is the Clement's generic name. I'll look at the Toucan tomorrow time permitting.

Yes, I remember the photo, too. Remember thinking that the bill did look too short as mentioned in my comment to the photo, but just never got back to check. Regarding the toucan. Having looked through all the photos of toucans, I'm not completely certain what photo is referred to, but I'm guessing it is this:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/43787/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

... but that is about taxonomy rather than ID as can be seen in my comment to the photo...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back