• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured blackbird (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
URGENT: Injured blackbird

My dad just (20 mins ago) caught a deceptively nice cat with a blackbird in it's mouth, which the cat dropped. I put her in a box with lots of kitchen towel, some soft raisins, a little apple and cheese, and she's now in a little tent thing next to the house to keep the wind off at least. She's awake but I've only seen her move her head, and when I just went out to check on her her eyes were closed and she was breathing quite heavily. She opened her eyes when I got closer though. All I can see is a few bite marks on her back which don't seem to be too deep. Nothing else obvious.

Is there anything else I can do just now? I want to go out and just watch but I know it won't do much good!

Laura, are there any wildlife rehabilitators in your area? If so, give one of them a call. Or call a small animal veterinarian and see if they 'do' birds, or perhaps know of a rehabilitator you aren't aware.

The bird's state could be caused by any number of things: deep shock, an illness or injury present previous to the cat's attack, infection from the bite itself, or an injury not visible to the eye -- or a combination of those things.

Unless you are a vet or rehabber, you probably do not possess the skills to adequately care for an injured bird. But you are at least giving it comfort. Thank you for that.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure if there's a wildlife rehabilitator in the area I'll check that out. We were about 20 minutes late for the vet up the road unfortunately, but if there's still a need I'll give them a call first thing in the morning.

Just checked on her and ahe's moved round a little bit, so I guess that's a good sign. Maybe. Still isn't moving much though. Wish I could bring her inside for the night! Do you think that would help? She would certainly be warmer, but it might cause her to panic more.

I've read that you can try to clean any cuts with a little antisceptic- can't decide if that's a good idea or not. It might clean it up a bit but I expect she's hurting and stressed enough already.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back