• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your thoughts (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I played hooky today ;) Not a good day to do any digiscoping on the beach. Very windy as a storm is on its way. My question concerns the bird coming in for a landing in the lower left hand corner. Where I don't believe it was on top of the gulls it probably wasn't too far off as it is fairly in focus. This was taken pretty far out. The gulls were barely discernible with the naked eye. Just specks of white. . I know the pic is not good but please give me your best thoughts on what this larger bird is:h?:

Attachments

• Gulls.jpg
    Gulls.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Hi KC,

The bird look to be a first winter Herring Gull, hence the brown plumage. There is a first winter Laughing Gull in the middle of your photo - a bird we Brits would like to see a bit more often, though Michael will be able to tell you about the one which lived on the roof of his local hospital back in the 1980's

Darrell

Thanks Michael & Darrell. I'm ashamed to say that I really do not know my shorebirds as well as I should. Pretty sad when you live 2 blocks from the ocean but seldom find the time to get there. Think I'll start playing hooky more often :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back