• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittern or ?? (1 Viewer)

Aack16

Good Afternoon,

Can you wise folks tell me what the heck this is? I was stalking woodducks (with my canon) on a pond out back in early May and came across this fellow perched on a branch over the pond. He/she was about the size of a crow, was quite interested in grooming, had these long sort of hairy looking feathers, did not make any noise that I heard, and did not seem bothered by my presence about 25 feet away. The closest thing I can find is a least bittern, but this guy/girl does not look exactly like the ones in my ID books or anything that I've seen online.

Not sure how well the color shows up in the photos, but the head and back were slate gray, neck and breast were brown, feet were orange.

Thanks!
Angie

Attachments

• birda.jpg
    birda.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 257
  • birdb.jpg
    birdb.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 250
Hi Angie,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators.

As you can see questions usually get a swift response here. Hope you'll stick around and share more of your birding experiences.

Bird is in "High Breeding Plumage". The latest National Geographic guide states only the males legs & feet change from yellow to such a bright orange during the breeding season. Anyone know of other references regarding this? Will research it further when I get some free time (unless some genius out there does it first).

Hal

Hal said:
Bird is in "High Breeding Plumage". The latest National Geographic guide states only the males legs & feet change from yellow to such a bright orange during the breeding season. Anyone know of other references regarding this? Will research it further when I get some free time (unless some genius out there does it first).

Hal
Sibley says simply that "The legs, bills and bare parts of ardeids change colour during the breeding season". He then goes on to give some examples, unfortunately not including the Green Heron.
I saw my fisrt and only Green Heron last year at Point Pelee and the brilliant orange legs were quite spectacular.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back