• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron ID (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

I need some help with this Heron ID. The photo was taken in Campeche, Mexico yesterday.
The size and stance make me think Night-heron. I've seen young Boat-billed herons and can rule that out. We have both Black-crowned and Yellow-crowned Night-herons but I've never seen young of either.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Attachments

• ave7.jpg
    ave7.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 322
Looks like a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night- Heron to me. Dark, with heavy speckeling.

dennis

This pic seems to be lacking some color but because of the thicker, dark bill and the longer legs, I would go with a juvenile Yellow-crowned. The Juvenile black crowned has the lighter colored bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back