• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID (1 Viewer)

icansprint

I have not been able to find an ID for this Gull. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• 292-DSC_1486.JPG
    292-DSC_1486.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 312
Of course contentiously, if this bird was in the UK, then according to BBRC guidelines its probably not acceptable as proven smithsonianus.

Jane Turner said:
Of course contentiously, if this bird was in the UK, then according to BBRC guidelines its probably not acceptable as proven smithsonianus.
Very true!

A large part of my suggesting smithsonianus was based on the poster being in Maine . . . ;)

Michael

Jane Turner said:
Looks likely. Where was it taken?

God! what a question ,America probably;) Probably MF realised the poster was an American therefore had a clue!

American race (smithsonianus) Herring Gull.

Is that correct? I need my books, long time since I've seen one ;)

Osprey

The dusky underparts contrasting with a paler head look good for smithsonianus and its a big bugger.

I can't see enough of the tail, though there is somehing suspiciously pale in there. Where is Harry when we need him?

The gull picture was taken in Freeport, Maine on the coast. My first thought was Herring Gull but my books say the legs should be pinkish. I have 4 pictures of this gull and all show brownish legs with no sign of pink. Also my books say the Herring Gull should have yellow eyes. I know my picture is not the best but it would clearly show yellow eyes if they were there. I just don’t have enough research info on immature gulls to give this one a name. However, I will not claim to know even a 100th as much as the experts here. :)

Don’t bee fooled by the white tip on the bill. I think it is caused by the light shinning on the very small light colored tip.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the details; the leg colour (muddy grey-pink on immatures, gets gradually brighter pink as they grow older) and eye colour (dark for their first 2 years or so) is OK for Herring - they only get yellow eyes when around 3 years old (this applies to all gulls that have yellow eyes as adults!)

Michael

Thanks Michael, I thought that might be the case but my books are very limited.

I would also like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread.

Bill

Hi all,
A classic juv/1st-w smithsonianus Herring Gull(re remarks about acceptability in the UK,I would say that such a bird as this would be accepted here in Ireland).
Of course,this SHOULD be smithsonianus based on location alone,but the following features point in that direction:
1)Relatively uniform chocolate brown underparts(slightly "velvety" look to them!)
2)dark greater coverts(those of European races of Herring Gull have noticable pale internal markings)
3)dark tertials,without the pale notches/bars shown by(most?) European birds
4)still a good few juv.mantle feathers retained
5)big awkward bulky structure
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back