• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - West London (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Good morning all

I saw this warbler yesterday in the doom and gloom and, annoyingly, wouldn't turn its body for a front view before flying off. I think it is a Whitethroat. Could you confirm.

Many thanks
John

Attachments

• Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 267
from what I can see on the picture, admittedly not much, it looks a lot more like a willow warbler or a chiffchaff, and certainly isn't safely identified. A front view wouldn't be necessary to confirm whitethroat, did it have rusty brown wings and a black tail with white edges?

Blatantly a whitethroat!

blatantly a warbler, but not blatantly a whitethroat, nor even blatantly a sylvia warbler. Computer screens are notorious for translating what we see into complete nonsense, but what I see on mine is an olive brown bird with a pale supercilium.

I must say I'm not sure that its a Whitethroat - the thing that looks like a puffed out pale throat is actually vegetation. It is a warbler :)

To me it looks blatantly like whitethroat, on my screen the 'rusty brown wings' stand out like a sore thumb.

and on mine I can't see any rust colour, I think we'll all just have to agree on warbler species. It's always the problem of trying to identify birds from photos, in the field there would never be confusion between a whitethroat and a willow warbler!

from what I can see on the picture, admittedly not much, it looks a lot more like a willow warbler or a chiffchaff, and certainly isn't safely identified. A front view wouldn't be necessary to confirm whitethroat, did it have rusty brown wings and a black tail with white edges?

Hi Nick,
I know that I am hopeless on birdsongs (as well as IDs) but I do know that it didn't have a Chiffchaff song. I've been trying to learn the Willow Warbler song and it didn't sound like one (I don't think:h?:). Not familiar (yet) with Whitethroat song. When I got home, I played recordings of Whitethroat but, to be honest (old age creeping on), couldn't really remember song of my bird.

To help answer your other questions, attached are a couple of other pictures. Both, apart from being cropped, haven't been enhanced - the 2nd one was deliberately over-exposed trying to get something reasonable in murky conditions.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Warbler1.jpg
    Warbler1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Warbler2.jpg
    Warbler2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 118
Whilst Whitethroat is an obvious "first call" (due to apparent white throat!) I'll join the minority in saying it looks more like a phyllosc (most probably Chiffchaff) to me - rounded not peaked head shape, thin bill, slightly pot-bellied appearance - and what looks like a well-marked supercilium to me, although you can only make out a part of this behind the eye.

Edit - I now see new pics have been posted!

Attachments

• Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 69
Looks like a Chiff now :)

Another lesson in the benefit of putting up more than one picture!

La-di-la. I just don't know Jane. I'm convinced that this bird had a melodious song that wasn't that of a Chiff but maybe I'm just going batty.

On a lighter note, I did manage to nail the ID of this Wheatear (below) yesterday;)

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Northern_Wheatear1.jpg
    Northern_Wheatear1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 75
La-di-la. I just don't know Jane. I'm convinced that this bird had a melodious song that wasn't that of a Chiff but maybe I'm just going batty.

On a lighter note, I did manage to nail the ID of this Wheatear (below) yesterday;)

Cheers
John

Trust what you saw/heard in the field - it could be WW, though it does look like a Chiff.

Iberian Chiff? :)

yes, these pictures look much more like it! You should always post all the pictures you have for an id, the 'best' one is not always the most helpful one.

Love your nailed wheatear though, still haven't seen one this year, they seem to be later migrants in this part of France.

Is that primary projection not long enough to make it a Willow Warbler? Must admit WW was my gut reaction when i looked at the first pic

Jan

Is that primary projection not long enough to make it a Willow Warbler? Must admit WW was my gut reaction when i looked at the first pic

Jan

I agree, WW was my gut reaction too, something about the shape just looks right, and the poster says it didn't sing like a chiffchaff. But going solely from the photos, there isn't enough in them to be certain which one it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back