• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I've only just got back from the Reservoirs, but this bird made my morning. The call sounds a bit like a Thrush being strangled, and I've never witnessed behaviour like it.

I think it was trying to distract me from it's nest site. It was flying a few feet above a bush, hovering, then swooping down into the bush. The noise and the display was impossible to ignore. This behaviour continued for more than ten minutes. (I was at least 30 feet from the bush).

I've attached the first image that seems detailed enough, I've a few more that I've not checked yet. I won't sat what I think it is, as I'm really not sure.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1660134R.JPG
    P1660134R.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 178
Thanks all, I thought it might be, but I've never seen one before, so didn't risk saying it.|=)|

Is the behaviour that I described usual for these birds?

Hi Chris,

It's a Sedge Warbler, note the thick super & the dark border on the upper edge of the super. Also the long undertail coverts & rounded tail.

Cheers, Neil.

Thanks all, I thought it might be, but I've never seen one before, so didn't risk saying it.|=)|

Is the behaviour that I described usual for these birds?

Yes it is - so much so that I guessed what it was before looking at your photo. Sometimes they hide away making lots of noise but staying invisible, other times they sit on top of a bush and do their hovering thing, as you described. The two I saw this morning were of the former persuasion.
David

Yes it is - so much so that I guessed what it was before looking at your photo. Sometimes they hide away making lots of noise but staying invisible, other times they sit on top of a bush and do their hovering thing, as you described. The two I saw this morning were of the former persuasion.
David

Thanks David. It's a great thing to witness, I doubt that it's something that you can forget once you've seen and heard it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back