• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should Peregrine pair have eggs by now? (1 Viewer)

David Pedder

The pair of Peregrine Falcons at Symond's Yat Rock, now in their fifth year at the site, have not yet got eggs (unless things have changed since I was there last weekend). The text books state that eggs are laid in late March/early April. Is this a cause for concern? For a week or two now invading Peregrine have been seen being chased off by the resident birds. Might this be the problem or could there be other reasons. Any views on this would be most welcome.

not sure myself. there seems to be abit of confusion up here with birds at the moment, mainly due to the weather. still not many birds pairing up or nest building, some are not even displaying yet. give a couple of more weeks and hopefully they will pick up - if the weather does.

Thanks a lot Salty. It's reassuring to hear that. Perhaps then it could be a nation wide change with many species nesting later due to changes in the weather? (Glad to see you found your posts by the way!)

My info is that Peregrines in Wales are late laying this year (no eggs at 10 sites in the latter part of March - may get more recent info tonight) but no idea why - perhaps this pattern is similar elsewhere in the UK David?

Cheers,

Andy.

Many thanks Andy. Fascinating. I wasn't aware of that. Would be most interested to hear more on the subject if you get further news.

Cheers,
David

I'm surprised that they are not down on eggs yet.

An additional peregrine is not good news. This may cause them to fail if the intruder is persistent. I've seen it happen with a 1st year female that persisted in interfering with a nesting pair. The male kept going ballistic every time she turned up.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back