• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visit to Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Hello to all,

I am considering a break to Mallorca in the autumn and would maybe like to hire a local guide in the area. Does anyone know of any guides in Mallorca or is it easy enough to get around the island and various sites? What would the cost be for the day?

Regards

Big Gully

Hi,

With a little planning there will be no need to hire a guide. I did Mallorca a few years ago staying in Alcudia, and having spent several nights with the Graham Hearl "A Birdwatching Guide to Mallorca" managed to pick up 87 species in the height of summer. It was spot on with every site.
I walked to several sites, also hired a bike, but a car is needed for the Formentor peninsular and Cuber Reservoir. I did the Arta Mountains to the tv mast, be aware it is not for the faint hearted.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Hi Big Gully,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Excellent link from Phil.

Big Gully
The Hearl book is now quite out of date, the last update was nearly 20 years ago. Much better to get the awkwardly named Bird Tourists Guide to Majorca make sure you get the second edition which was published this year. Certainly helped me last month in Majorca, I took both this and the Hearl book and hardly touched the Hearl.

You probably know about the Yorkshire bit of BF HERE

Hi Big Gully and a warm welcome from me too.

There's quite a few articles in Opus which you might find of use.

There is also a Gosney series guide to the island that I used successfully this spring.

There is no need for a guide on land but if you want to include a boat trip for pelagic species send a PM & I could let you have details of a guide.

Hi Big Gully. I can´t help you in Mallorca, but if you are planning to visit Navarra and/or West Pyrenees, I can do! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back