• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

memory cards (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Okay....on memory cards for my Canon 450 or just about any camera...you need high speed. But how about quality of memory card? Do expensive cards really make a true difference in picture quality?

On any memory card...what is the lifespan? How many times can I sift through the card before it all of a sudden has had it?

Never thought of these questions before so not sure if anyone has any answers?

Do expensive cards really make a true difference in picture quality?
No difference whatsoever - at the end of the day all a card does is stores a lot of 0's and 1's and then you transfer these digits to the computer to be processed.

The differences will be build quality/reliability and write speed.

You only need high speed if you shoot long continuous sequences of images and need to be able to clear the buffer quickly ready for the next series of shots. If your shooting style is only one or two shots at a time and then a pause of a few seconds before the next shot then you don't need a high speed card. If you want to shoot video (not an option on the 450D) then you might need a faster card in order to receive the constant stream of video data.

As for the quality of the card, digital being digital, and all just ones and zeros, there is no such thing as a card that stores "poor image quality". It will store ones and zeros the same as any other card. The problems arise when cards stop working for some reason and then all the data can get lost or corrupted, but often can be recovered with special utility software (free).

People say that buying quality name brand cards increases the chances of reliability and that may be true. I've only ever had one dud card, which was DOA and replaced quickly, but I have never had a card go bad on me. I've used brands including Sandisk, Transcend, Integral, Datawrite (the dodgy one), Sony, Viking, Kingston (I think) and even a fake Sandisk from eBay. Nowadays I tend to buy only Sandisk or Transcend but even for my 50D I have chosen to go for a relatively slow 32GB 133X Transcend rather than a vastly more expensive and faster card.

Interesting.....good to know. I know I just bought a packet of three 2GB PNY the other day for a recent outing I am having locally. thanks for words...

I like 2gb......even at full fine image mode I get a few hundred images on each card and this way I do not have to download a 1000 shots or more which might be on a 8gb card. not practical nor fun!.... Anyone else on that?

I like 2gb......even at full fine image mode I get a few hundred images on each card and this way I do not have to download a 1000 shots or more which might be on a 8gb card. not practical nor fun!.... Anyone else on that?
You wont get that many when you start to shoot in RAW ;););)

I have 24 GB worth of cards, mainly 2 GB ones. I have a 4gb card but don't use it often. If a card does go faulty on me, i'd prefer to lose less pics! I too have onle ever had one faulty card and thet too was faulty from the start and was sent back. It was a Sandisk.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back