• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Warranty and Customer Service: Need Opinions (1 Viewer)

I have been eyeing Swift's 828 HHS 8.5x44 on the internet (and have read the reviews here; they were very helpful), and will probably order a pair just to see if I like them.

My concern is their warranty. The other binocular I have ordered as a comparison has a "No-fault" warranty, and that seems to be a mark against the Swifts.

So, I ask humbly for the posters here to share some stories of Swift customer service and/or warranty experiences. Anybody had anything repaired by Swift for any reason? Satisfied?

Mississippi Mud said:
So, I ask humbly for the posters here to share some stories of Swift customer service and/or warranty experiences. Anybody had anything repaired by Swift for any reason? Satisfied?

I have used Swift customer service to collimate a 7 x 35 Neptune and adjust the retractable eyecups on an 828 HSS Audubon. $35 for the former and $0 for the latter, with turnaround in each case in about a week. Both bins were sent to Boston, although I understand the repair facility is now on the West Coast. Nonethless, I wouldn't hesitate about buying a Swift over the lack of a No Fault Warranty. Very nice people offering very nice products, IMHO.

Hi,

I own a pair of Swift 828 HHS and find them to be an outstanding value. They provide an easy view, either with glasses or without. At the price point, it would be hard to find their equal, even by that "No-fault" warranty company. Swift Optics is rather sentimental about this particular model since it was the last one designed by H. H. Swift., and maybe the last roof made in Japan.

They have a "Lifetime" warranty for manufacturing defects, but more importantly, several folks have reported excellent customer service right down to replacing the product. In my case, they reconditioned a Model 827 Kestrel free of charge, even though it was several years old.

Best wishes,
ED

Does the current Swift warranty apply to the first owner or does it follow the binoculars in the used market?

Reading at the Swift site doesn't go either way though they do seem to have a product registration which implies (to me) first owner only.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

I've never been clear whether a mail-in registration is binding, in the sense that the current owner can be denied warranty services if he/she was not the person to submit it. There are too many complicated scenarios of gift giving, inheritance, marriage, name changes, etc. A limited time warranty, e.g., 25 yrs, would seem much more binding even if the original purchase papers or mail-in registration went missing. They know when a product was manufactured.

In Swift's case, the binocular company (Swift Sports Optics) split from Swift Instruments in 2006, and the remaining microscope company was sold to a non-Swift owner in the last month or so. The likelihood that old records were retained and would be used is vanishingly small, IMO.

The official contract repair station for Swift is:

Land Sea & Sky Unlimited
1927 Richmond Ave.
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 529-3551
(713) 529-8480

When available, spare parts are also stocked by this organization, which I took advantage of recently for older 804 eye cups. Nikon, of course, is a much larger organization and I've had good results from their no-fault service on two occasions. In each instance I had to send the product back twice to get it done right, and on one round trip their flimsy packaging was almost crushed. I'd say they are about the same quality service.

Hope this helps.

Ed

I had a Swift scope that was about 3 years old, they discontinued it and refused me service on it. I'll never buy another Swift product.

I did get a response from Swift this morning:

Hi Kevin,

The warranty only applies to the original owner.

Thank you,

Ruth
Swift Sport Optics Customer Service
12105 W. Cedar Dr.
Lakewood, CO 80228
877-697-9438
800-382-6789 - Fax
swift-sportoptics.com

So there you have it.

That rather reduces the value of older Swift bins compared to other bins that have warranties that applied to binocular not the original purchaser.

Just for kicks I called Swarovski Optik North America (SONA) and asked about warranty services for a binocular I bought used. (I didn't make this up, exactly, I did buy one used.) I was told that the warranty is only for the original purchaser and does not transfer. Moreover, I'd needed to attach a copy of the original sales slip with information indicating date of sale from an authorized Swarovski dealer. Otherwise, I should send it in for evaluation and they'd estimate repair costs.

That's what happens when one asks about official policy. In reality, Swaro never asked for the sales slip or dealer info. when I sent that binocular in two years ago. They fixed it and sent it back looking like new, with new eyecups and strap.

Unfortunately, this is a "don't ask don't tell" area for several companies. That's just the way it is.

Here's a little discussion we had a year or so ago about Swarovski.
http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-91669.html

The only company I know of with an official transferable warranty is Zeiss. Technically, Nikon's no-fault warranty is also for the original owner (I think). I'm not asking. ;)

Swift's warranty policy is about the same in my experience. I don't hold it against them.

Ed

The only company I know of with an official transferable warranty is Zeiss. Technically, Nikon's no-fault warranty is also for the original owner (I think). I'm not asking. ;)

Swift's warranty policy is about the same in my experience. I don't hold it against them.

Thanks for the tip. And the link.

The Vortex warranty goes with the bin (and there is no service charge either, you just mail the bin) but it doesn't cover accidental damage.

I think the Celestron warranty is the same too (and that include accidental damage).

Promaster too (AFAICT).

Not sure about the Leupold warranty but I've heard they're good but they do have product registration with a serial number.

So there are others out there. And as we've seen on this thread Swift has refused a warranty repair.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back