• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

No sign of the rose coloured starling at the Titchwell roost last night but at least 15,000 starlings are roosting.

Needle in a haystack anyone?

Paul

No sign of the rose coloured starling at the Titchwell roost last night but at least 15,000 starlings are roosting.

Needle in a haystack anyone?

Paul

Yep, check out the count this morning from Hunstanton cliffs, 60,000 birds in 2 hours......from one viewpoint!
G.G.Shrike refound in the dunes near Gore Point around 2:15pm and y.b.warbler heard in sycamores by the car park. Had a brief male black redstart on the roof of the Firs at midday.

Last edited:
Hope the Pied Wheatear enjoys its location and stays until Saturday!!!;)

What a spectacle watching 8 Great White Egrets together - WOW!!!!!

The very, very nice garage at Docking who are searching for parts for my Hyundai are VERY kindly going to lend me a car for my holiday;):t: so Friday night I will have a car until Wednesday evening, so relieved and excited, so will most definately be making up for lost birding time!!!

FROM THE NAR VALLEY WEBSITE:

'Yesterday, a big black cat, similar in size to a puma was spotted by a guy
working on a digger in the peat excavation area across the drain from the
fen............(the peat excavation area is just the
other side of the Stringside Drain from Boughton Fen)'
:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Absolutely awesome vismig for the first few hours this a.m. It was a bit of a struggle with only 2 pairs of eyes, 1 pair landward & the other seaward & things were undoubtedly missed when we were both looking in the same direction. Black-headed Gulls & Starlings were streaming through from the word go & these provided a constant back drop for the likes of Goldeneye, Peregrine, Lap Bunting, Skylarks, Lapwings, various other wildfowl, fly-through Richards Pipit, Redwings etc etc. Unfortunately i lack the verbal prowess to be able to convey the spectacle in words & i guess you really had to be there. For the icing on the cake, see attachment.

Attachments

• DSC07274.jpg
    DSC07274.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC07280.jpg
    DSC07280.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 207
Absolutely awesome vismig for the first few hours this a.m. It was a bit of a struggle with only 2 pairs of eyes, 1 pair landward & the other seaward & things were undoubtedly missed when we were both looking in the same direction. Black-headed Gulls & Starlings were streaming through from the word go & these provided a constant back drop for the likes of Goldeneye, Peregrine, Lap Bunting, Skylarks, Lapwings, various other wildfowl, fly-through Richards Pipit, Redwings etc etc. Unfortunately i lack the verbal prowess to be able to convey the spectacle in words & i guess you really had to be there. For the icing on the cake, see attachment.

Were these shots taken at Cley, Rob? They look like they are coming in off the sea and then from the reports headed east. It's fascinating to think where this lot have originated from. As UK records are generally of single individuals, they could have dispersed from southern Europe and be relocating to Holland having ventured too far north. Terrific record though :t:

They were taken from the cliff top just east of Weybourne Mill, the birds were initially low over the sea but then gained height & looked like they were thinking of turning inland which they obviously did a bit later as they were seen just inland of Beeston Bump but then must have hit the coast again as they were seen at Mundesley. Its not unusual for birds to cut this coastal corner off, i`ve seen it on a regular basis with Black-tailed Godwits & Ruff amongst other species. Presumably the birds are newly arrived from the continent, quite possibly turned up somewhere yesterday afternoon/evening unseen & then set off again early this morning.

I heard the egrets were last seen from mundesley then headed out to sea, seen distanlty from eccles/sea palling area. A new british record count ?
When I saw it reported I thought it must be a joke !

If anyone is interested there are 2 Yellow Browed Warblers at wells, seen very well in the line of willows, south of the dell and the western border of pinewoods caravan site, I pished them in to within 15 feet. very nice

Cracking find for who ever found the pied wheatear, I hit mark 1 to get there from holkham, norfolk drivers don't you just love them. with the bluetail at minsmere what else is ont he east coast. I know where i'm heading tomorrow

Apocalyptic Viz Mig

Hi Rob,

I nearly rang you this morning. I stepped out the house at 7.30 & sev 100 Redwing went over, I headed up to the coast but unfortunately didn’t get to Walsey til 0820, but even so it was amazing! Repeated wave & flocks of Starlings, with as you said a backdrop to a steady passage of Lapwing, BHG & skylarks. Also had 20 Brambling, c70 Siskin over in a couple of hours. 3 x 15min sample counts over the two hours suggested around 10,000 Starling from 8.20 - 10.40, apparently Holme/Hunstanton was more than double this.

I went off up the point after this, had a nice day without any megas, but 2 Merlin, 1 Peregrine, 1 Woodcock, Black Red, Lesser W’throat, Lap & Snow Bunt – plus plenty of grounded Redwing, Song Thrush & Brambling.

Any one know whom had the Short-toed in stubble field behind Walsey?

Ta C

Last edited:

AWESOME - watching 8 Great White Egrets - Congratulations!!!:t:

Pied Wheatear still showing well this morning at Horsey. Surprised that I was one of only three birders there at dawn, the other two were both from Cambs! The bird appeared actually inside the pill box as it got light and eventually hopped out and began flycatching from the walls, windows and roof. After a short while it nipped over on to the beach where I left it sitting on a groyne. A smart bird, with nicely scalloped scaps and mantle and a classic breast band. Plenty of stuff nipping around in the dunes, but sadly work beckoned...
Congrats to whoever found the bird!
I will have some photos on my blog tonight (though they will be my usual poor standard).

Pied Wheatear still showing well this morning at Horsey. Surprised that I was one of only three birders there at dawn, the other two were both from Cambs! The bird appeared actually inside the pill box as it got light and eventually hopped out and began flycatching from the walls, windows and roof. After a short while it nipped over on to the beach where I left it sitting on a groyne. A smart bird, with nicely scalloped scaps and mantle and a classic breast band. Plenty of stuff nipping around in the dunes, but sadly work beckoned...
I will have some photos on my blog tonight (though they will be my usual poor standard).

Those pesky Cambs birders get about everywhere!! ;)

Titchwell October 15th

Today's highlights

Grey phalarope - 1 briefly on fresh marsh @ 5pm then flew east
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Shorelark - 2 on brackish marsh
Yellow wagtail - 1 on fresh marsh
Red necked grebe -2 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 summer plumage bird offshore
Snow bunting - 15 on beach
Jack snipe - 2 on reedbed pool
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh
Spotted redshank - 9 on tidal pool

Paul

Strumpshaw Fen is one of the best sites, they are regularly seen from the reception hide. Last year my housemate photographed one on the Wensum just west of Norwich, and another person I know saw one from the bridge near the Playhouse in Norwich. Over the summer Fairhaven Gardens run canoe trips looking for Otters, which would probably be quite good fun if you haven't seen one by then!

Thanks for info, I took a walk along the yare at postwick this evening, no otters but was treated with two beautiful barn owls hunting on the meadow.

I'll be there at dawn tomorrow. Wednesday at meetings in London (although with a conveniently placed Brown Shrike to make up for it) and a meeting in Thetford first thing this morning meant I haven't managed to get there yet. Pied Wheatear is one of my biggest bogey birds - they always go before I can get to them - so the chances of it being there tomorrow are slim in the extreme. Sorry to anyone else who goes!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back