• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loon (diver) in Sea of Galilee? (1 Viewer)

slesgold

Several days ago I was in Tiberias and thought I saw a loon (diver) in the Sea of Galilee (Yom Kinneret). I didn't get a good enough look to be certain, but it definitely was diving like a loon. Is it possible that it was a loon? If so, what kind?

Any diver/loon would be VERY unusual in that location, whereas Great Cormorant is not uncommon, they winter in the region and pass through in good numbers on their northward migration, not necessarily following the coast either.

Richard

There are 19 records for the Black Throated Diver in the region, 2 of those, Sea of Galilee. #also Red Throated#

Funny enough, the records just happen to have been seen from the same area as you did.

Now, a question as to how 'your' bird dived into the water from the surface. Did it 'up end' (the rear leaving the waters surface to follow the head in an arc, or did it appear to 'slip' under the water with barely a ripple?

Last edited:
We frequently see loons (common loon) where I live in Wisconsin and it dove the same way, i.e., head down first, tail up then following the head and rest of body.

Also, I've seen cormorants pretty often, especially in Florida. Although, I've not noticed them diving while swimming, I've seen many anhingas dive while swimming, which is similar and this bird didn't dive like that.

Sorry for dismissing the Diver possibility a bit too quickly, I've checked the Israel Rare birds site israbirdcenter.org,and there were two Black-throated Divers reported last winter, one in October on the Med coast, and one in December at Eilat!
So, maybe you're 'gut feeling' was right!!!

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back