• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for some top quality binoculars - grateful for some advice. (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone.

Time for an update. I spoke to my wife about binoculars and have established the following:

They need to be 8x42.

If I spend a lot of money, she will kill me (I think the cat is out of the bag).

It transpires that my wife knows exactly what she wants, and that is a pair of Trinovid 8x42BN. I know this because she borrowed a pair belonging to a friend and was so impressed she wrote down the details. Apparently, they are perfect - the right weight, the right size, feel just right in the hand and are generally 'just amazing'. Not much to argue with there.

Here's what I've done: Found a pair of used 8x42BN at a dealer (who has a branch not far from me). They are in mint condition, boxed with all the original accessories and documentation, have just come back from a full Leica service and are returnable until after Christmas (just in case). I can't really go wrong.

Oh, and the fact they came in at half my budget means I can afford to take my better half away somewhere exotic to try out her new present.

It's all gone rather well. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

You lucked out. :t:

I think your wife is talking about Leica's new 2nd line Trinovid binoculars. The model they recently replaced cost a few hundred bucks more than these do. These cost just under $1000.00 US funds which I think is less than 800 British Pounds.

Just make sure that the ones you found are not from the Original 8x42 Trinovid BN line which was discontinued in 2004 and replaced by the Leica 8x42 Ultravid line of Binoculars. People will be using some of those beasts for the next 20 years!

Here is a picture of the current 8x42 Trinovid:

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/products/leica-8x42-trinovid-hd-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
I agree 100 percent, the 8.5X42 SV is wonderful, and the SF deals happening now are unbelievable.

my favorite binoculars are the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 SV. If I were to get a new pair today, it would be the Zeiss SF because of the steep discounts on the gray-armored models.

Martin,

Bob makes a good point in post 41:
The 8x42BN which you mentioned is an old model Trinovid model which is very heavy ( 33.25 ounces ! ). Make sure what model your wife needs. The new Trinovid HD is small and light in comparison.

~ Beth

Martin

I was amazed when you said your wife thought the Trinovid BN was the right weight. These bins have many qualities but moderate weight isn't one of them. Do take note of what Bob and GiGi have posted and take care to make sure which Trinovid your Mrs likes. I suspect GiGi is right about that.

Lee

Martin,

Bob makes a good point in post 41:
The 8x42BN which you mentioned is an old model Trinovid model which is very heavy ( 33.25 ounces ! ). Make sure what model your wife needs. The new Trinovid HD is small and light in comparison.

~ Beth

This is what the Original 8x42 Trinovid BN looks like. It is built like a tank! I have the 7x42 version so I can vouch for that!

http://www.allbinos.com/237-Leica_Trinovid_8x42_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
If she wrote down the model number, I'm sure she really DOES mean the Trinovid BN's--the older version not the current model. And if she knows what she wants, I don't think any of us should second guess her, despite the weight. Also, the binoculars are returnable, so there's really nothing to lose. Go for it!

If she wrote down the model number, I'm sure she really DOES mean the Trinovid BN's--the older version not the current model. And if she knows what she wants, I don't think any of us should second guess her, despite the weight. Also, the binoculars are returnable, so there's really nothing to lose. Go for it!

Somehow I missed that she wrote down the model# in Martin's post.
Since she has tried the BN model already then she knows what she likes and I wish her the best of luck with them.

Thanks everyone.

Time for an update. I spoke to my wife about binoculars and have established the following:

They need to be 8x42.

If I spend a lot of money, she will kill me (I think the cat is out of the bag).

It transpires that my wife knows exactly what she wants, and that is a pair of Trinovid 8x42BN. I know this because she borrowed a pair belonging to a friend and was so impressed she wrote down the details. Apparently, they are perfect - the right weight, the right size, feel just right in the hand and are generally 'just amazing'. Not much to argue with there.

Here's what I've done: Found a pair of used 8x42BN at a dealer (who has a branch not far from me). They are in mint condition, boxed with all the original accessories and documentation, have just come back from a full Leica service and are returnable until after Christmas (just in case). I can't really go wrong.

Oh, and the fact they came in at half my budget means I can afford to take my better half away somewhere exotic to try out her new present.

It's all gone rather well. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

I wonder if the original accessories you mention includes the neat little soft leather case that many of the BNs came with? You can see what it looks like in the 4th picture of the 8x42 Trinovid BN in this link:

http://www.allbinos.com/237-Leica_Trinovid_8x42_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

I have one for my 7x42 and I keep it on the binocular at all times and I never have to use any eyepiece or objective covers. The case takes their place. Simply unzip it and put the binocular up to your eyes and it hangs below it on the strap out of the way. The case has snaps on the back of it to keep it from falling off the neck strap or, alternatively, to make its removal easy if that is desired. The case is soft and flexible enough to carry around in a jacket or coat pocket.

I give mine regular treatments with a good leather preservative.

Bob

Last edited:
Martin,

I wonder if the original accessories you mention includes the neat little soft leather case that many of the BNs came with? You can see what it looks like in the 4th picture of the 8x42 Trinovid BN in this link:

I have one for my 7x42 and I keep it on the binocular at all times and I never have to use any eyepiece or objective covers. The case takes their place. Simply unzip it and put the binocular up to your eyes and it hangs below it on the strap out of the way. The case has snaps on the back of it to keep it from falling off the neck strap or, alternatively, to make its removal easy if that is desired. The case is soft and flexible enough to carry around in a jacket or coat pocket.

I give mine regular treatments with a good leather preservative.

Bob

Hi Bob

The Leicas have arrived — they are the ones you linked to.

They are in fantastic condition and come with the strap, eyepiece cover and yes, that exquisite soft leather case (which doesn't appear to have been used).

I can understand why some have expressed concern about the weight of these binoculars (they are heavier than my wife's Opticrons), but they are definitely the ones my wife talked about.
My initial impression is that these binoculars were built to survive anything short of an explosion. I couldn't resist a quick test, so borrowed the Opticrons while my wife was out yesterday. The Opticrons are good, but the Leicas are a major step up — sharper, brighter (much brighter), nicer colour rendition. Personally, I found the extra weight quite reassuring — I'm no expert, but I found the Leicas easier than the Opticrons to hold steady.

The documentation shows a Leica service earlier this year. A quick scan suggests everything was adjusted, cleaned and tested (I guess that's a standard Leica service?).

I think my wife will be rather pleased with these.

Great. If she doesn't already have you could always research neoprene straps or binoculars harnesses as a potential stocking filler.

Hi Bob

The Leicas have arrived — they are the ones you linked to.

They are in fantastic condition and come with the strap, eyepiece cover and yes, that exquisite soft leather case (which doesn't appear to have been used).

I can understand why some have expressed concern about the weight of these binoculars (they are heavier than my wife's Opticrons), but they are definitely the ones my wife talked about.
My initial impression is that these binoculars were built to survive anything short of an explosion. I couldn't resist a quick test, so borrowed the Opticrons while my wife was out yesterday. The Opticrons are good, but the Leicas are a major step up — sharper, brighter (much brighter), nicer colour rendition. Personally, I found the extra weight quite reassuring — I'm no expert, but I found the Leicas easier than the Opticrons to hold steady.

The documentation shows a Leica service earlier this year. A quick scan suggests everything was adjusted, cleaned and tested (I guess that's a standard Leica service?).

I think my wife will be rather pleased with these.

Hi Martin,

Glad you are happy with them and managed to save money to boot! :t:

Many people don't know how to use that soft case as a substitute for Ocular and Objective covers; or if they do they would rather not have the case dangling under their chin while using the binocular.

I tried using my 7x42 with the supplied Ocular cover (there are no objective covers for it that I know of) and I finally decided to keep the case on because I thought it was less annoying than having the big Ocular cover dangling around while I was using the binocular.

Put the strap on the binocular then unzip the case and unsnap the back flap. Lay the binocular, focus wheel up, inside the case and pull the strap back through the flap opening and then re-snap the flap closed around the individual straps. Zip up the case and hang it around your neck. Unzip it when you are using the binocular and the case will hang below the binocular and under your chin.

Your wife will decide if she likes it that way.

The Trinovid BN even with its older coatings is still an excellent binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back