• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

Well ive seen a few snowdrops in flower, and some plants are beginning to push up through the surface of the soil. Also saw a frog last night. On sunday, there was quite a bit of sun and the dunnocks,blackbirds,nuthatch and tits were singing. I also had a great tit checking out a nestbox, and a coal tit taking some cat fur from the floor into another.
Has anybody else seen any signs of spring?

Snowdrops poking through in the garden, and the Ribes is covered in new buds.

And the Rooks pairing off!

(Not long now...)

Sunday

A pair of GSW chasing each other in circles an playing tag. I stood in the centre of an oval about 150 yards across and watched them go round for half an hour before my feet succumbed to the "spring" frost.

A few birds are singing up here in Fife; I heard Goldcrest the other day for instance. Winter Aconite is starting to come out and a couple of weeks ago I saw some Butterbur in flower.

Snowdrops were out in the garden a few days ago. There has been a bluetit inspecting the inside of a nestbox for a long time now (though not roosting), and last week for the first time one bird was hopping around in the hornbeam tree while one was inside. It was as if the bird outside (which we believe was the male) was anxiously wondering if this was the box. The inside bird spent rather longer than usual on its inspection.

Yep - snowdrops are out here too, with daffodils starting to push there way up.

The birds are very vocal - with some signs of pairing in the chaffinches and blackcaps. We also had a pair of pheasants in the garden today with the male displaying and generally driving the female round in circles (literally) ... oh, and the squirrels have been going biserk - a sure sign spring is on the way !!!

Sunday morning robin & bluetit in song. some snowdrops showing, must be a good sign! Although Febuary-March can have a sting in the tail!!

Yesterday saw a whole border of daffodils in full bloom, - admittedly was within half a mile of the beach in a nice sheltered spot, but made me happy to think spring is on the way.

Birds singing? Checking out nestboxes? DAFFODILS IN BLOOM??????

I can't stand it!

We're in a cold snap -- I think it reached 17F today (and I don't know what that is in Celsius, except that it's d*mn cold!), and the highest temperature predicted for the entire week is only 23F!

It's snowed on and off all day, has been cloudy and gloomy and breezy enough to keep the wind chills around 0F.

And you're talking about DAFFODILS . . . .!!!!! I can't stand it!

:C

Catkins out, a Chaffinch trying his best to remember how that tune goes (just about made it, too). Coot scrapping on the broad as only coot can and drake Teal displaying as hard as they can to demure lady teal. Ah yes - despite the cold North Easter and lashing rain, Spring is just around the corner, at least it is at Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk.

We've got early signs here too: the Large-billed Crows flying in threesomes, the Grey Starlings bright in breeding plumage and yellow bills, the Oriental Turtle-Doves billing and cooing, and the first plum (apricot) blossoms.

I've had primroses blooming in the garden since before Christmas!!! Lovely flowers BUT I don't really like seeing them outside of their 'normal' flowering times!!!
The Blue Tits and Wren have been singing for a couple of weeks and I heard my first male Blackbird singing on Saturday 17th January.
Loads of trees and shrubs behind the shop were I work and we often hear Blue,Great and Coal Tits as well as Dunnock,Wren and Collared Dove.
Won't be long now!!!!!

GILL

Beverlybaynes said:
I'm jealous . . . I am SO jealous . . . .

I hear you Beverly. Talk of signs of spring in January in Iceland is laughable. Or is it? The sun is getting higher in the sky, sunrise at 1042 today instead of 1145 as in mid-December, Ravens are performing aerial acrobatics over the rooftops and other early breeders such as White-tailed Eagle and Gyr Falcon are probably getting frisky on their territories. Flowers are completely out of the question though.

E

Here in Belgium winter has been very mild till this moment so the first springflowers such as hamamelis en helleborus are at their best.

Greets Yamato

Attachments

• hamamelis small.jpg
    hamamelis small.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 148
  • beauty.S.jpg
    beauty.S.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 139
Mild, with slight rain an I'm in the garden doing a little tidying and cutting back shrubs. Blue Tits are louder than of late as are Goldfinch. Honeysuckle and Ribes showing signs of new growth. Snowdrops and Bluebells pushing up and through the soil.

Last edited:
EDWARD!!!!!! Ravens,White Tailed Eagles and Gyr Falcons!!!!!

Move over Beverley....let me bunk up next to you on the jealousy bench!!!

GILL

Like everyone, my Snowdrops are poking through with a few showing white already. It's been particularly mild so far so not really surprised.
Dunnock seen today perched up high and looking decidely in display mood, it must be mild then!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back