• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Monday......Bittell....King on overhanging tree at 1st fish pond (by cottage) then flew up into small bare tree in corner.

......River Rae between Popes Lane and Wychall Lane.....also a couple of Grey Wagtails. The bankside vegetation has been chopped back so easier for us and Kings to see each other.

Pic ...big crop of King in bare tree at Bittell ponds.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 OCT 8 019 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 8 019 A.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 47
Kingfishers this morning on the River Rea at Stirchley and Selly park. These Kingfisher have moved down the river compared to last years. So the Stirchley Kingfisher I first found at the end of Selly Park before I heard it calling as it flew back to Stirchley.
I then found the usual Wychall Kingfisher flying up to Northfield.
Finally some stunning flying by the Bourn Brook Kingfisher who I can only think had been up the brook and was then heading back down flying several metres in the air, following the bends of the brook and tree clearings doing a slight body roll, calling. It was certainly on a mission. Great!

King on the shopping trolley again this morning on River Tame near Sandwell/Dudley Station.

A phone snap at full zoom so hard to see anything....lol

Attachments

• 14925673_1983965438496852_3315012097683012509_n.jpg
    14925673_1983965438496852_3315012097683012509_n.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
Kings Norton...
Male King in tree by dam at Merecroft 2pm today.....no Goosanders Monday or today.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 NOV 1 109 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 1 109 A.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Canon 2016 NOV 1 109.JPG
    Canon 2016 NOV 1 109.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Kings Norton...
Male King in tree by dam at Merecroft 2pm today.....no Goosanders Monday or today.
Great shot Keith, seen one perched there once!

This morning I saw;
Two Kingfisher on the River Rea, Selly Park, quite close together, both perched on the river bank. Then saw a Heron and a Bullfinch.
A Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook then a pair of Bullfinch flying across the footpath. (KF size fish at the blue bridge getting bigger)
Late Afternoon, the Kingfisher still on Merritt's Brook, Manor Farm Park, dazzling in the fading light as it flew around the bend. Great!

Last edited:
Wychall Lane Kingfisher flew towards us and under the bridge. Seemed more Blackbirds about this morning with some very confiding new arrivals

Bumper Kingfisher weekend;
Saturday was good for Kingfisher but Sunday was better!!
At first it was quiet on the River Rea this morning, nothing along the Selly Oak section.
I then got to Stirchley and two Kingfisher were quietly chasing each other. No calls, which was a bit strange.
They flew up and over the footbridge.
Then one appeared sitting on a tree perch, not sure if it was the victor or another.
Then as I ran back to Selly Oak, I found the usual one on it's normal stretch.
I then checked out the Bourn Brook and the Kingfisher was sat on a perch by the Harborne Lane bridge, not seen one using that perch or the pool formed from the brook since last year, it was probably one of the two regulars on this section.
Then early afternoon I checked out the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. At first it was quiet and then I heard the two tone call, echoing under the bridge. It went up and down a few times and as I left was calling again. A few female Goosanders also flew in, my first of the year. Great!
(also had a Jay in my garden trees both Saturday and Sunday, chased off by a squirrel yesterday and then a magpie today. boo! there was a pair a few weeks back)

Last edited:
The water levels of the River Rea were back to normal today after the heavy rain early yesterday. This meant the Kingfisher were back. There were three present, two busy chasing each other.
Then it was great to see the Kingfisher still on Merritt's Brook, Manor Farm Park. It was perched in a tree where the brook passes through the park at the bottom of the grass down from the car park. Great!
I then checked out Woodbrooke and was very surprised despite all the fish there was no Kingfisher. I expect one will visit soon.

River Rea, Selly Park - The Kingfisher was in the prime location. Unlike the past couple weeks I couldn't find any others further along.
As I ran back there was one male Bullfinch, then I found another two male Bullfinch in a tree together and when I looked closely there were the females. I stopped and watched them feeding only a few metres away.
On the Bourn Brook, I had to laugh as the Kingfisher was perched above ten mallards and two moorhens, all together. Great!

Due to the overnight rain, I could not find any Kingfisher on the River Rea this morning. The Bullfinch was in the same berry tree.
I thought I was not going to have any luck on the Bourn Brook as the water was also high but then spotted the Kingfisher as it slowly came out of the bush it was perched in. It was not too sure how far to fly off. Maybe it thought I did not see it. It flew a small distance and then I left it. Great!

Last edited:
Bittell Resa......lots of rainwater around. Lower and Mill Shrub full...upper back to normal level at last and fish ponds clay coloured....all this means and Kings are having trouble finding fishing places.
Saw one fly left across Lower into the waterlogged land on right hand side.
About 1/2 hour later I was walking down private track towards Upper - while looking at a large flock of mixed finches in the trees a King came straight at me and passed virtually next to my face.....carried on up track and over hedge and up towards pond adjacent to Cofton Richards Farm....never thought I would see one that far away from the ponds....

Bittell Resa......lots of rainwater around. Lower and Mill Shrub full...upper back to normal level at last and fish ponds clay coloured....all this means and Kings are having trouble finding fishing places.
Saw one fly left across Lower into the waterlogged land on right hand side.
About 1/2 hour later I was walking down private track towards Upper - while looking at a large flock of mixed finches in the trees a King came straight at me and passed virtually next to my face.....carried on up track and over hedge and up towards pond adjacent to Cofton Richards Farm....never thought I would see one that far away from the ponds....
Nice one!
Kingfisher this afternoon on the Bourn Brook.

Nine Goosander on Gumbleberrys Lake next to the River Cole this morning.
Kingfisher on both the River Rea and Bourn Brook.
Two pairs of Bullfinch at Selly Park.
Nice to see and hear plenty of songbirds out singing & feeding.
Great!

Kingfisher on the River Rea, Selly Park this morning. It stopped right opposite me. Great!
On BTO a Kingfisher was seen at Brookvale Park. Not seen one there myself yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back