• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nestbox siting (1 Viewer)

finchy

I've recently moved into a house from a flat and i'm currently making up for lost time !!
Bought some schwegler nestboxes,round hole and open faced and i've sited them facing north east and at a height of about 6 feet.So far so good but my question is this,can i site a round hole for blue/great tits close to (say 5 feet away from) an open faced box to be used by robins/blackbirds or whatever else fancies moving in ??

Also in case anybody is interested i'm getting greenfinch/chaffinch/goldfinch/bullfinch/nuthatch/coal tits/blue tits/great tits/long tailed tits/robins/dunnocks/blackbirds/great spotted woodpecker and 2 extremely curious and alarmist magpies who seem to spend their waking hours on guard duty.
This morning i was alerted by their calling and saw a fox creeping out of the hedge !!

As nobody seems to have an answer,i'll now let you all know.It would appear from recent activity that it makes very little difference if you site the nestboxes close to each other as i've had blue tits and robins both having a good look round.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back