• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plakias Crete (1 Viewer)

trw

Spent a 'non birding' week in Plakias Southern Crete, from 6/8/13- 13/8/13
Actually did more birdwatching than I intended and saw some good species.
Stayed at the Irida Studios which were clean,quiet and handily located for the town.
Plakias can be ferociously windy in Summer.When the wind drops it can be fearsomely hot.Not a good recipe for resident birds,I thought.
There were however three good birdwatching areas all within easy walking distance.

Damnoni Bay

The western headland was a great little birding spot.
There were resident Blue Rock Thrush seen and heard every time I went.
There was also a healthy population of Crag Martin in the cliffs above.
Four Red Billed Chough appeared one morning.
A male Stonechat was seen regulary.
Sometimes a Raven was flying around.
One morning a Black Eared Wheatear put in an cameo appearance near the cliff edge,
The usual flocks of Sparrows were around with a few Blue Tits
A Grey Heron was on the rocks one day and there was generally a Yellow Legged Gull loafing around.
A Common Kingfisher was fishing from the rocks on one ocassion.
On walking around the bay I saw another 2 Common Kingfisher.
We took a walk up the eastern headland and were rewarded with a Long Legged Buzzard,a Common Buzzard,1 Kestrel,4 Alpine Swift.8 Hooded Crow and some Barn Swallow.

Plakias and the Gorge.

Most evenings I wandered up to the old mill in the foothills of the gorge.The walk starts from the centre of the town
Like clockwork the Griffon Vultures always appeared around 6 p.m.Not sure how many were up there but the most I ever saw together was three.
Other birds seen here - 3 Raven,2 Common Buzzard,4 Red Billed Chough,1 Crag Martin,2 Goldfinch,Several Barn Swallow,the usual Collared Dove, Sparrows and Blue Tits.On the way back there was a Kingfisher on the riverbank
On Plakias Beach there were 2 Little Ringed Plovers on consecutive evenings.
A Common Kestrel was generally about with a few Hooded Crow in the vicinity
On the rocks there were 2 Shag one morning and one Yellow Legged Gull.

Souda Bay

Sitting on a bench overlooking Souda Bay we looked westward to the mountains.
There were more Griffon Vulture here than Gorge.
There was also an impressive number of Alpine Swift,maybe a speciality around these parts.
Common Buzzards, Ravens and Barn Swallows were also about.
I looked down and saw a female Yellow Wagtail below.
The only warbler I saw all week was a Sardinian Warbler in some bushes along the road to Souda Bay.
We walked behind Souda bay towards the western headland.Just behind the tavernas there were 6 White Wagtail with the usual Sparrows and Blue Tits.There was nothing on the headland apart from a male Stonechat and a Raven.

A bird report by Mark Graham

Last edited:
Hope you had a good time. Always went to Plakias in spring. Still surprised you didn't encounter Great Reed or Cetti's Warblers, both of which I remember along the river in the town.

Hope you had a good time. Always went to Plakias in spring. Still surprised you didn't encounter Great Reed or Cetti's Warblers, both of which I remember along the river in the town.

Thanks Brian
I was very grateful for the advice you gave me before I went.
If you could have witnessed the gale force wind then you will understand why I didn't see or hear any birds in the reeds.They were obviously keeping their heads down.
I walked down by the river every night almost and only saw a Kingfisher!
Not sure if you are familiar with the headland west of Damnoni Bay.
It was a really good birding spot but it was generally protected from the winds.
Thanks again

We stayed at Plakias in spring 1991 I think. Best bird was a vagrant Desert Wheatear!

Wow. We had two weeks there in spring 1990, and our best were Squacco Heron in-off, Little Crake and Temminck's Stint on the tiny stream, and White-winged Black Tern just off-shore one evening, now that was a lovely sight. Can confirm the wind ! (even Homer called it 'wind-beat Plakias' in the Iliad).

My best Plakias birds were a small party of Slender-billed Gulls one year and what was virtually certain to be a Western Reef Egret with a flock of Littles heading south high over the Lybian Sea.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back