• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2010 (1 Viewer)

NickUK

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me as to a cracking Hobby hunting location in Dorset? Ideally I would love to film them with a high speed camera taking dragonflies over heathland - does anyone know of a reliable spot?

Any help most gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I believe the New Forest is a fantastic place for Hobby, not been myself but one of the guys I try to tag along with was telling me about it just last weekend, funnily enough he had staked out a place that had loads of dragonfly and was rewarded with lots of action at close quarters.

I can get more details if its not too far to travel, let me know

Cheers

Mike

Hi Nick,
Try Shapwick Heath in Somerset, I spent a few hours there last year and there were Hobby's aplenty. I'm not sure about the layout of the place to get what you want but there are so many Hobbys there, you should have a good chance.
Ian

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me as to a cracking Hobby hunting location in Dorset? Ideally I would love to film them with a high speed camera taking dragonflies over heathland - does anyone know of a reliable spot?

Any help most gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
Nick
Nick

I may very well be talking out of the wrong orifice, but:-
If you don't mind me saying, Springwatch 2010 is a strange title for a thread about Hobby and Dragonflies. Unless they both arrive in Dorset/Somerset much earlier than in Berkshire!

I can second Shapwick as an excellent place for Hobbies having seen 20+ in the air at one time.
The end of May,beginning of June is usually the best time.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about the TV programme with Chris Packham and Kate Humble. Clearly not!!

Anyone know when it starts?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back