• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull, mid-late April (1 Viewer)

JamesA

Crap Birder
Hi all, bit of a vague one here. I'm staying with a friend on Mull for a few days at the and of April, and I'd appreciate any and all wildlife-related suggestions. I don't know the island that well, so I don't really know what's available in terms of birds. I'm not even that sure what species will have arrived back at the island by that point, so any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks in advance.

Hi James

Here's a link to the Opus article. There's loads of information and links on there, which is worth browsing.

You'll be a bit early for some species like Corncrake maybe - but there'll still be loads to see.

D

Did you follow the link on that article to the Mullbirds website? They have a list of arrival dates for the various summer visitors.

If you don't go anywhere else, make sure you include Grass Point in your itinerary.

D

When I went to Mull it was mid-late May and by then the breeding season was well and truly on and all the summer visitors were present.

I can't remember names of many of the places I visited on Mull itself since I was on a land safari tour on one day, but we saw Great Northern Diver, White-tailed Eagle, Short-eared Owl, Peregrine, Hen Harrier (how about that for a list of raptors all on one day?), Tree Pipit, Redshank, very, very good sightings of Otters on the coast.

Will you get a chance to go out on a boat trip? I'm not sure if you'll be a couple of weeks too early for the height of activity, and the weather might not be great, but going out to the Treshnish Isles on one day, and the next to the Cairns of Coll, including lots of time just in the middle of the sea scanning the surroundings turned up: Puffin, Manx Shearwater, Gannet, Razorbill, Guillemot, Pomarine Skua, Shag, Rock Pipit, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Minke Whale, Common Dolphin, Harbour Porpoise, Common Seal, Grey Seal amongst many others.

I loved it, and I can't recommend a boat trip highly enough if you get decent weather. The experiences with the sea mammals was amazing. Going full speed and having the dolphins riding the bow waves, oh, it was absolutely exhilarating, then switching the engine off and drifting in perfectly calm seas while the porpoises by the hundred, and the whales came close - just hearing them breathe is something that will stay with me forever.

The Treshnish Isles were busy with lots of other groups, but you seem to have much more space to yourself that it doesn't feel as crowded as say the Farne Islands, and the Cairns of Coll, being uninhabited gems in the sea were just perfect places to stop and chill out for a couple of hours.

If you want a guided tour, and we found that to be a great way to get a 'heads up' on the island on our first day, you can't go far wrong with Pam and Arthur Brown - Discover Mull.

They will show you round, tell you what's about and what to expect.

We had one of the best days of any holiday with them.

But book early, they are good so they get full up.

If you want a guided tour, and we found that to be a great way to get a 'heads up' on the island on our first day, you can't go far wrong with Pam and Arthur Brown - Discover Mull.

They will show you round, tell you what's about and what to expect.

We had one of the best days of any holiday with them.

But book early, they are good so they get full up.

That's who I was with too. They make the most amazing soup and sandwiches as well.

There's a great book "Birds Of Argyll" put together by the Argyll Bird Club, which includes Mull... it's 45 Quid.. but sort of worth it if your spending time up there.. Have a look at their website... it's full of local knowledge. http://www.argyllbirdclub.org/publications/birds_argyll.asp

You'll be fine for most migrants in mid April, and without the full leaf cover in the trees you get to see them too! Here's a few dates for the main return of a few of the commoner species**. from the above mentioned book :-
Cuckoo - by Early May
Redstart - 2nd or 3rd week of April
Wheatear- mid March to mid April
Wood warbler - April 20th- 30th
Willow warbler -2nd - 3rd week April
Spotted Flycatcher - Mid May
Tree pipit -2nd - 3rd week April

The good news is, as has been said... Divers in full breeding plumage, (try watching them on a calm evening when they're calling... it's a magical experience) and black guillemots!.. but even better... the midges come out when the bracken is kneehigh... in mid April... it's not even kneehigh to a Grasshopper warbler (Return date.. mid-April to mid-May!)

It's a fabulous time of year in the West Highlands... and can be the best weather all year... fingers crossed!

.. And I always expected Swallows on April 12th!

** I used to live further down on mainland Argyll, on Loch Fyne and don't know Mull... these were the migrants that were commonest in that area.... but I don't see why Mull should be that much different!

Last edited:
If you're interested in mammals then as well as the Otters to look for on the lochs make sure you keep your eyes peeled for Mountain Hares, which on Mull are the hibernicus subspecies (species?) and look very different from your mainland ones (we saw them well along the unclassified road from Fionhphort to Fidden and beyond but there are doubtless many other good areas).

Best of luck, hope you have a grand old time.

James

ps - distillery in Tobermory is worth a look round too, a good dram if that's your sort of thing.

James,

Glad you posted this question as I'll be there about a week later! I was particularly keen to see the divers in summer plumage, can anyone recommend any good locations for them??

Birds of Mull

Hi all, bit of a vague one here. I'm staying with a friend on Mull for a few days at the and of April, and I'd appreciate any and all wildlife-related suggestions. I don't know the island that well, so I don't really know what's available in terms of birds. I'm not even that sure what species will have arrived back at the island by that point, so any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks in advance.

I find this little book very useful when on Mull. It has details of all Mull birds with site descriptions etc..

http://www.mullbirds.com/

Sandra

If you're interested in mammals then as well as the Otters to look for on the lochs make sure you keep your eyes peeled for Mountain Hares, which on Mull are the hibernicus subspecies (species?) and look very different from your mainland ones (we saw them well along the unclassified road from Fionhphort to Fidden and beyond but there are doubtless many other good areas).

Best of luck, hope you have a grand old time.

James

ps - distillery in Tobermory is worth a look round too, a good dram if that's your sort of thing.

there's a fairly confident young otter in tobermory harbour who likes to show off for tourists. he leaps onto fishing boats as well and steals fish off them.

when we were there he ate a fish on the steel steps right in front of one of the pubs with a group of us snapping away mere feet from him. we couldn't believe it as he pretty much swam right towards us, it was like he spotted us and wanted to put on a show. we saw him again the next day in the seaweed by the distillery having a good roll around in front of a different group of tourists.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back