• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Today (Elk Island NP & Sherwood Park) (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

1) Given the belly isn't very uniformly yellow, I'm guessing this is a bohemian waxwing?

2) Some sort of sparrow...song sparrow maybe?

3) Really not sure on this one...just sitting in the top of the tree.

4) Female finch of some sort...purple finch maybe?

First three birds were from Elk Island, the last from a feeder in Sherwood Park.

Attachments

• Bohemian Waxwing (small).jpg
    Bohemian Waxwing (small).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMGP5391small.jpg
    IMGP5391small.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMGP5415small.jpg
    IMGP5415small.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Female Finch (small).jpg
    Female Finch (small).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 96
1- juvenile Cedar Waxwing
2- Pine Siskin
3- female Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler, I saw my first in the same type of Aspen tree at Astotin Lake.
4- female House finch

On the topic of Sherwood Park, have you ever seen the lake at Aspen Trails? I used to live there and the birdlife was phenominal. The lake outside the hospital (close to the motorway) had Red-winged Blackbirds, Savannah Sparrows, a pair of Horned Grebes (spectacular in breeding plumage) annually and there were a few nice migrants there (Grey Partridge, American Pipit, Snipe, Marsh Wren, Turkey Vulture flyovers etc.) plus Stoats, Muskrats and a few other occasional things. Of course I've no idea if its still like that. When I last saw it there was a large wasteland. Probably a lot of houses on it now (that was two years ago when I was there) but the lake is likely still there, however it is probably now classified as "Emerald Hills" (I think thats what it was going to be named).

Last edited:
1- juvenile Cedar Waxwing
2- Pine Siskin
3- female Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler, I saw my first in the same type of Aspen tree at Astotin Lake.
4- female House finch

On the topic of Sherwood Park, have you ever seen the lake at Aspen Trails? I used to live there and the birdlife was phenominal. The lake outside the hospital (close to the motorway) had Red-winged Blackbirds, Savannah Sparrows, a pair of Horned Grebes (spectacular in breeding plumage) annually and there were a few nice migrants there (Grey Partridge, American Pipit, Snipe, Marsh Wren, Turkey Vulture flyovers etc.) plus Stoats, Muskrats and a few other occasional things. Of course I've no idea if its still like that. When I last saw it there was a large wasteland. Probably a lot of houses on it now (that was two years ago when I was there) but the lake is likely still there, however it is probably now classified as "Emerald Hills" (I think thats what it was going to be named).

I think I know the spot you're thinking of. A small lake sitting near the junction of Baseline Road with Highway 16/Anthony Henday...

I'll have to check it out sometime soon...driven past it a million times, but never walked around there at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back