• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planet Earth Live....new series (1 Viewer)

Hammond will just read off the teleprompter. A "geology" oriented type of show on the Discovery Channel was recently "hosted" by the actor Charlie Sheen; now what does he know about geology! Such programmes with a "minor celebrity" introducer are a travesty to my way of thinking.:C

Hammond will just read off the teleprompter. A "geology" oriented type of show on the Discovery Channel was recently "hosted" by the actor Charlie Sheen; now what does he know about geology! Such programmes with a "minor celebrity" introducer are a travesty to my way of thinking.:C

I remember the show British Isles - Alan Titchmarsh.

He narrated, and appeared on the show, and he looked so out of place as he is a garden expert.

Maybe it is a new trend that we have presenters who have no or limited interest in the subject they are talking about - does not make sense to me at all. :C

Maybe it is the Beeb trying to save money in some way or another.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I've no problems with actors and the like doing a voice-over on a documentary, but I really don't like seeing them "present" the programmes as if they know what they're talking about. I think this is one programme that I'll give a miss.

I've no problems with actors and the like doing a voice-over on a documentary, but I really don't like seeing them "present" the programmes as if they know what they're talking about. I think this is one programme that I'll give a miss.

A bit previous perhaps? Yes Richard does Top Gear and Total Wipeout (the funniest thing on TV and a worthy replacement for the much missed Jeux sans Frontieres) but he also does Blast Lab which is making science interesting for kids.

At least try it - you might be about to miss something good.

John

A bit previous perhaps? Yes Richard does Top Gear and Total Wipeout (the funniest thing on TV and a worthy replacement for the much missed Jeux sans Frontieres) but he also does Blast Lab which is making science interesting for kids.

At least try it - you might be about to miss something good.

John

I didn't like the synopsis of the programme, maybe if nearer the time they can reveal more about what it's about I may reconsider, but it doesn't jump out at me just now as a must watch.

OK - who do we want instead, then? NOT the legendary Sir David or any other wildlife presenter. Just someone who can present or narrate. Geoffrey Palmer, Sean Bean and Kenneth Branagh have all narrated wildlife documentaries: Olivier did The World at War.

How about Judi Dench or Daniel Craig? They do James Bond films, and Ian Fleming got the name from a bird field guide.

Personally I think Michael Portillo - I so enjoyed watching his wildlife epiphany when looking for bears in the Pyrenees.

John

Why not, for a change, have somebody actually competent in TV? Some young biologist who knows what he is talking about? It cannot be too difficult to learn talking script to the camera.

John I have no disagreement with narration if the actor does not appear on the screen, its when they are onscreen and their script gives the impression they know what they are talking about. As suggested a knowledgable PhD or doctorate by a presenter relevant to the presentation is much more acceptable to me. Even a known enthusiatic amateur. i.e. Bill Oddy on birds or Patrick Moore with Sky at Night is welcome.

I'm not even sure about a voice over. Have you really listened to him? Bringing forward an enthusiastic amateur would be a cracking idea ( Not me though. I'd end up arguing with the script on camera. Not a good idea. )

A "geology" oriented type of show on the Discovery Channel was recently "hosted" by the actor Charlie Sheen; now what does he know about geology!

Rocks in the head????

chris

There is a definite skill to "doing telly", sticking a PhD type who knows their subject can be a recipe for disaster TVwise. Yes we can all quote Attenbourgh and Oddie, but it is natural selection they happened to be good at TV so have survived. But even they are special cases, Attenbourgh invented wildlife TV, and commisioned lots of TV (he was controller of BBC2 for years) so TV is much "his subject" as wildlife. Oddie was a professional comic before he took to wildlife presenting, so knows how to work a audience. Plus live TV is very different from recorded stuff, look at Brian Cox, with a script (albeit one he wrote himself) he is a great presenter, but one look at Stargazing Live and you can see he can't do with a producer in his ear!

Hammond has good form as a general as well as motoring presenter, the proof of the pudding... let us see what the programme is like before leaping at throats.

Richard Hammond presenting a wildlife show?? Oh please!!

Annoying,irritating little ***t that he is. I shan't be watching for that reason only.

Si.

There is a definite skill to "doing telly", sticking a PhD type who knows their subject can be a recipe for disaster TVwise.

Geez, do you think that all Ph.Ds are stuttering, spectacled nerds? Many are good looking and can talk interesting.

David Attenborough was also an average guy in his early films - and grew into a good TV persona.

And field biologists I know are better looking than average - all these field excursions keep fat percentage down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back