• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (27 Viewers)

Hello everybody
Up in York at the weekend, checking out a few of me former haunts.
Saw a nice Peregrine and a probable second-winter Yellow-legged Gull at Wheldrake on Saturday and 20 Ruff and a Dunlin at North Duffield Carrs on Sunday.
Is this the main forum for Yorks birding these days? I have checked out the yahoo groups of NE birding and Yorkshire birding and they seem to be dead quiet!
Thanks
Jono Leadley

hi martin nice pics! yeah east park is good mikejack82 go's all the time and i do a little bit too,was in there today took my little girl to feed the ducks/geese.
did you get to photo the Red Crested Pochard? i got a couple today but they were handheld cam only.

Hi Kempy

I went last week to get the RCP but it was a dull day so the shots weren't that good.Hopefully it will stay around an I can get it on a sunny day.

Hi Jono

Ive only recently discovered this site but theres plenty of info on here. Theres posts on here everyday, so I would check in regular, pose questions etc. If someone knows the answer they will let you have it.

Changing the subject to my birding day:

Spent this afternoon at Langsett - did circular walk around reservoir taking in some moorland. Siskins were seen in small flocks all afternoon, you could not miss them. I recall other birders on here wondering whether or not there had been an invasion of them recently, I have seen them virtually every time I have been out birding this year. Also good numbers of Red grouse at Langsett - very confiding for any photographers out there. Apart from the siskins & grouse, not much about at Langsett today.

Harlow Carr Birds in the Garden Week

Had a great 8 hours this weekend sat in the new bird hide and bird feeding area at Harlow Carr, RHS Harrogate.

Highlights of the 28 species seen at the feeders included:

3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers (including drumming males)
2 Marsh Tit
Bullfinch (4 male and 2 female at one time - though a transect walkover survey c.10 days ago recorded 18 birds throughout the garden)
Lesser Redpoll
Siskin
Nuthatch
Jay
Goldcrest
Goldfinch
Treecreeper

and a male Sparrowhawk that went through (and occasionally landed in the feeding area) 11 times in 8 hours without making a sucessful catch!

All the common birds were recorded in addition to the above (however, rather suprisingly, no Wrens) with lots of Long-tailed, Coal, Blue and Great Tits, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Dunnock and Robin etc.

This new hide and feeding area really is an very excellent place for beginners, photographers or those looking for something unusual at the feeders...

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
hi schiffornis,thanks for the comment glad people seem to be taking it in the right way and enjoying it! This Harlow Carr sounds just the place for us with our HANDHELD cams haha,no on a serious note sounds good,is it private or open access? and anywhere else we could go near there too for a good days birding.

thanks chris

NEW TRIP REPORT..see our BLOG... http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
hi schiffornis,thanks for the comment glad people seem to be taking it in the right way and enjoying it! This Harlow Carr sounds just the place for us with our HANDHELD cams haha,no on a serious note sounds good,is it private or open access? and anywhere else we could go near there too for a good days birding.

thanks chris

NEW TRIP REPORT..see our BLOG... http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

hey kempy!

Its part of the RHS (realize this they are snobs!!) it does cost to get in, not sure how much tho as i was 'working' so didn't pay! It is worth it, think chavbirders would go down a treat there!!! Might be best after half term or early just after garden opens, check rhs.org.uk for details i guess. Lots of good areas nearby to explore, Kites everywhere to the south of Harrogate, several little reserves nearby too for things like Water Rail (Stavely) and Pacific Divers (Farnham)!!!!

The woodland next to Harlow Carr car park often has Crossbill in/around and they sometimes get in the garden. Lesser pecker is also occasionally recorded from the gardens at this time of year. Grey Wagtail is often in the little stream in the garden and dipper and kingfisher are occasionally recorded too during the winter.

Its also not too far from Eccup if you want to look at ducks at a miles distance! One of my favourites!!!

hey kempy!

Its part of the RHS (realize this they are snobs!!) it does cost to get in, not sure how much tho as i was 'working' so didn't pay! It is worth it, think chavbirders would go down a treat there!!! Might be best after half term or early just after garden opens, check rhs.org.uk for details i guess. Lots of good areas nearby to explore, Kites everywhere to the south of Harrogate, several little reserves nearby too for things like Water Rail (Stavely) and Pacific Divers (Farnham)!!!!

The woodland next to Harlow Carr car park often has Crossbill in/around and they sometimes get in the garden. Lesser pecker is also occasionally recorded from the gardens at this time of year. Grey Wagtail is often in the little stream in the garden and dipper and kingfisher are occasionally recorded too during the winter.

Its also not too far from Eccup if you want to look at ducks at a miles distance! One of my favourites!!!

Sounds Great thanks alot, I'm sure we will have a day soon and we really dont mind paying as we can soon pop to shed and print a few £20's off,
but yeah some good birds by the sound of it we got the kites local but they a pleasure anywhere anytime with any other raptors! we also dont have a problem with snobs etc we take people as they come sure well bring a smile to there face in our BLUES!! lol.

Thanks for the advice andy..although the ducks at a mile tho lol!

NEW BLOG HERE http://chavtwitchers.blogspot.com/

hi martin nice pics! yeah east park is good mikejack82 go's all the time and i do a little bit too,was in there today took my little girl to feed the ducks/geese.
did you get to photo the Red Crested Pochard? i got a couple today but they were handheld cam only.

You probably know, but these RCP at East Park are releases from the aviaries from a couple of years ago. They've been putting birds down on the lake for years, on and off. The regular female there now is pinioned, I think. Been a pinioned male there for over 5 years too.

Did an Atlas TTV at Bransholme last weekend, in the area for family stuff. Lots of birds: 3 stonechat, tree sparrows, yellowhammers, reed bunts, shoveler, plenty of teal, snipe, jack snipe, big flock of linnets (over 100), grey partridge. Been some good birds there (the area around the fishing ponds) over the years - Great Grey Shrike, RB Fly, Lap and Snow bunts, Osprey, Waxwings. Make someone a good local patch - last year had breeding gropper, lapwing, kingfisher, reed/sedge/willow warbler, blackcap, both whitethroats, barn owl, little grebe, possibly snipe, loads of reed bunt and skylark.

BB Dipper near Tophill Low... <pic> erk! bet you could not far off count the previous E.Yorks records on one hand.

Cheers,
Bob.

I must admit I don't know much about BB Dippers but it looks a nice bird. Even a regular Dipper must be a rare around Tophill, although I'm pretty sure I clocked an individual on the canal at North Frod. as I drove past last year.

Just back from sunny North Yorkshire, a great day to be out whatever you see, 40 odd species though not bad.

Highlights:
Big flock of Golden Plover next to road at Marske didn't appear bothered by traffic/ dog walkers or 'owt.
Turnstones devouring a great big fish (about 12" of haddock) washed up on the beach, gulls too scared to come on shore.
Day rounded nicely with a cracking Brambling at Helmsley - theres a garden backing onto the car park that must have a great feed station within 10 minutes the was 2 brambling, chaffinch, siskin, 6 blackbirds, House Sparrow, tits etc.

Lowlights:
Yellow Legged Gull, arrived there just after seven - too much fog to bother hanging round.
South Gare, driving up to SG it was a nice sunny morning. Didn't realise the Steelworks is just a big fog factory, no chance of seeing anything.
Black Redstart at Skinningrove, no sign of one. A lovely pair of stonechats, fulmar and eider though.
RLB, not a sight. Spent an hour waiting for it to show to no avail. Big flocks of Fieldfare and Lapwing to watch while waiting. Met a nice couple of blokes who later found a common buzzard (thanks lads!)
Barn Owl road kill, just entering the contra flow at Wetherby so by rights it should be a Losh bird, is it on the list Lawts?

Some hand held camera shots to follow

You probably know, but these RCP at East Park are releases from the aviaries from a couple of years ago. They've been putting birds down on the lake for years, on and off. The regular female there now is pinioned, I think. Been a pinioned male there for over 5 years too.

Did an Atlas TTV at Bransholme last weekend, in the area for family stuff. Lots of birds: 3 stonechat, tree sparrows, yellowhammers, reed bunts, shoveler, plenty of teal, snipe, jack snipe, big flock of linnets (over 100), grey partridge. Been some good birds there (the area around the fishing ponds) over the years - Great Grey Shrike, RB Fly, Lap and Snow bunts, Osprey, Waxwings. Make someone a good local patch - last year had breeding gropper, lapwing, kingfisher, reed/sedge/willow warbler, blackcap, both whitethroats, barn owl, little grebe, possibly snipe, loads of reed bunt and skylark.

Just had a look on google maps at the fishing ponds at Bransholme, it looks like its got potential.Maybe the chavbirders have been up there?
BTW you don't think you would get mugged by non birding chavs up there do you?Just a bit concerned about carrying a grands worth of gear about on Bransholme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back