• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

I agree. I don't think it roosts there but is present early morning for a preen and bathe, and also for a pre-roost gathering.

I wish it could be tracked down - there's probably some local park somewhere where toddlers are chucking bread at it everyday.

On the cricket, I've been disappointed with my efforts to stay awake - for all five days I was determined to watch, and fell asleep each time - must be getting old, but will try again on Friday.

Managed about 4 hours of live cricket thus far which isnt too bad. Getting ready to pull an all nighter with my brother over xmas just like when we watched vaughany mangle em for 195 in 2002.

Off to Moray tomorrow. Gonna be cold!! Want to get hooked up with the RBG when I get back...

I wish it could be tracked down - there's probably some local park somewhere where toddlers are chucking bread at it everyday.
The obvious place locally is the treatment works at Cooper Bridge. Plenty of gulls there and in the field opposite but it's not always the obvious place is it? Got down there about half eight/nine on Sunday, -8°C. It was on the water for a while then moved onto the island where it had a clean up, flew off sometime after 11:00. Hope the cold snap doesn't move it on.

Had a snow day today so walked up to 27, flushed 6 snipe from a small patch of mud near Oakwell, redwings, fieldfare, a flock of waxwing passed through. Up at 27 a snipe (patch tick), two siskin, bullfinch etc Stopped off at McDonalds, does anyone else have a patch with so many eateries?

Snowing at present so if it keeps up probably got the day off tomorrow.

Secret, the instructions for Bubo are here.

Roll on the 2nd test. I'll be stocking up on coffee

Cheers Ken, I'll have a bash at that tomorrow as I'm predicting another snow day!

Cooper Bridge is a good shout Jim, it flew off West tonight as well...

Just out of interest, where abouts did you get your snipe at J27? That would be one of the last places I'd expect to find one!

Redhouse

Need help with redpolls here! Flock 200+.but cant nail anything other than Lesser..gorgeous in own right. Plenty of siskins with 'em too. Need a decent birder to have a look...very mobile flock...must be a chance?Certainly enough about toattract a sprawk or 2!

If anyone wth redpoll experience fancies helping me out..pm me!!
Paul

Attachments

• sprawk2_1.jpg
    sprawk2_1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 88
  • LESSREDPOLL3_1.jpg
    LESSREDPOLL3_1.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 124
Need help with redpolls here! Flock 200+.but cant nail anything other than Lesser..gorgeous in own right. Plenty of siskins with 'em too. Need a decent birder to have a look...very mobile flock...must be a chance?Certainly enough about toattract a sprawk or 2!

Paul

There's should be an article in the Yorkshire Post on Saturday about Mealy Redpolls featuring one taken by v_cowell at Spurn last year!

Paul

Doc, Did you get them at redhouses?

Mark.

redpolls

Doc, Did you get them at redhouses?

Mark.

At Redhouse woods Mark, the area to left of track that runs to water treatment works.Feeding a bit lower now,but still tending to favour tall silver birch.View from main track in.Also seen in small copse next to works and around beck at redhouse stables.Will post a few more pics shortly.
Paul

a few more from redhouses

and thanks for all ID links!

Attachments

• redwing.jpg
    redwing.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 77
  • redpoll1.jpg
    redpoll1.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 122
  • redpoll2.jpg
    redpoll2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 100
  • redpoll3.jpg
    redpoll3.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 137
  • siskin.jpg
    siskin.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 80
Doc, re your Redpolls,

As mentioned by northerloon http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/ is a good source of information on this id problem. It is quite detailed but without much experience in the field, its accually not that helpful. It is easy to overcomplicate things in these situations. I really struggle with individual birds, but when there is a large flock, its MUCH easier to pick out RARE ones! Try and keep it as simple as possible. Sorry if any of he following is patronising.

Most if not all will be Lesser Redpoll - the smallest, brownest, most streaked ones
Mealy (Common) Redpoll - when seen feeding with Lesser Redpoll are significantly bigger, especially around the head giving a fat neck profile, heavily streaked upper, pale (creamy) lower
Arctic Redpoll - must be VERY grey and pale, no brownish plumage, extensive white patch on lower back (pretty rare here)
Hornemans Redpoll - would seem VERY large if feeding with Lessers (extremely rare here)

The bird in your pic imho seems to be a first year Lesser Redpoll, buffish neck and paler, less streaked underparts characteristic, it does show some plumage characteristrics of Horneman's but without any others in shot to compare the size or a shot of the upperparts, dont get excited!

Paul

Had a nice garden tick yesterday morning
Redpoll003.jpg

No sign of RBG tonight. At 3.30pm a group of 30 or so Common Gulls flew East before I had a chance to check them but they were the only gulls on the lake. Parties continued to fly over East until 4.15pm but very few (less than 10 individuals and a group of 6 Black-Heads) dropped in. Only gull other than Commons and Black-Heads was a 2nd winter Herring Gull.

A bloke did say he saw it there as usual this morning though Keith so I think it must be a pretty safe bet for a morning visit.

Doc the last of your redpolls looks like a mealy - White rather than buff super, White wing bars. Does have some buff tones on the flanks but this could be the warm lighting. Another picture of the mantle would help be sure.

Redhouse redpolls

sorry to witter on but what do you all make of this one!Look at the pale forehead,plump feel,and ?extensive tarsal feathering.Have I found something other than lesser???? Pleeeeease!

Attachments

• redpoll4.jpg
    redpoll4.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 108
  • redpoll5.jpg
    redpoll5.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 137
surely not lesser?

another one...am determined to find unusual redpoll!Just noticed rings on previous pics..?significant or not?

Attachments

• redpoll6.jpg
    redpoll6.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Hi Hotsspur, good place l go is stone creek, near Paull Hull, egrets(3) barn owls, waders galore,had a gannet late summer,plus a couple of seals always come to sea us, thats ronseal and celia

another one...am determined to find unusual redpoll!Just noticed rings on previous pics..?significant or not?

I'm only seeing Lessers - but in a flock that size you've a fair chance of something else. Whereabouts is Redhouse Woods Doc - will bob over if I can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back