• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginners tips ? (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Hi George - As I'm a total beginner I have thousands of questions ! .... but I think the only one I can reasonably put at this time is : do you have any tips for beginners ?

I have a Canon eos 300 with EF 28-90 & 75-300 lenses.

So far i've stuck to things that catch my eye, things which I personally like : differing views of rivers, the sea on the rocks/ sand / shingle, flowers, local landscapes etc. I find it interesting how a completely different image can be made just by leaving certain things in or out.

But are there, for instance, certain subjects which are technically more or less challenging ? ..... Or are there perhaps certain subjects which foster a deeper understanding of photography in general ?

Thanks in advance ..... I'd be interested in your thoughts / comments.

I would say, without a shadow of doubt, the one thing that would improve any nature photographers pictures is simply a knowledge and understanding of the subject. When I first wanted to photograph adders, for instance, I read everything I could find about them. I went out to locations where they were and I would sit and watch their behaviour for hours on end, going back day after day and all the time learning more and more.

The same thing with fungi. I went on foray after foray each time staying with the leader to listen what were the salient features of the different specimens that were brought in. I learnt when and where each species was likely to appear and I then went out and photographed them time and time again. Each time I tried to find better specimens and improve on what I had previously taken.

Today among the various workshops I run are ones on adders and fungi and I have two books out on fungi. Incredibly on one of my agency statements received yesterday I sold a picture in the USA of a a grass snakes' head in close up showing the tongue flicking out for the most money I have ever received for a pic in my life. All I know is that it was used for advertising so please look out for it you guys in America. I would love to know exactly how it was used. I will post the image tomorrow.

This probably wasn't the answer you were looking for Carlos but until you know how your subject behaves how can you decide on the equipment, ie lenses, you need?

Thanks for your question. George

Is that the same picture on your web site at:
http://www.georgemccarthy.com
Click on the front page picture.
Go into the galleries
Go into "Amphibians & Reptiles"
Go into "Grass Snakes"
The last picture in the center bottom of the page? It is a nice picture.

Eric

George McCarthy said:

This probably wasn't the answer you were looking for Carlos ...

George

Well I don't think I had any set answer in mind, and that one does sound perfectly sensible. Reading just about every relevant photography book in Norwich library is ok but, of course, there's always a limit to whats in the book. Thanks.

As for the grass snake picture, the one in eric's post is quite something.

Yes, that's the one but I don't know why it hasn't come into my gallery??? (help Steve)

It just goes to prove the old saying that "you have to be in the right place at the right time". If you make your living from it then I would add to that the word TWICE! Once when you take the picture and again when you sell it.

Hopefully some of you will tear yourselves away from the Bird Forum stand long enough to come and say hello. I will be in the top right hand corner of the same marquee (No1) stands 52 & 53 with a comprehensive range of my photographs, around 300 images on display. Look forward to seeing you there.

Rgds George

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back