• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keyhaven and Hurst Castle (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
Short trip out today.

There were a few Gannets flying very close to shore along the Hurst Castle path.

Had 2 Stock Doves at the path along Keyhaven, I've never seen these before so that was great. That was one bird I was trying to find for a while, and I didn't imagine this coastal wetland area to be their habitat. A chance encounter I guess you could say.

There were 2 Spoonbills in the 3rd lagoon from the western entrance as well. How common are these in England? I didn't find them first, there was another birder there who had been watching them for 20 minutes.

Highlights also include a (late?) Glanville Fritillary at the field right next to Hurst Castle.

Total list for the day was about 35 species.

There were 2 Spoonbills in the 3rd lagoon from the western entrance as well. How common are these in England? I didn't find them first, there was another birder there who had been watching them for 20 minutes.

There were 3 Spoonbills a few weeks ago, but now just two remain. Spoonbills are annual in Hampshire and occur fairly regularly at four sites in the county although in very small numbers. There is a small mobile summering population, mainly of young birds, that move along the south coast.

cheers, alan

In this year of a very late spring, the Glanvilles are running late. Good find.

Stock Doves are common in the New Forest and not surprising around Keyhaven.

Anything you are after that we can help you with?

John

At the moment on a local scale I need Mediterranean Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Avocet and then foresty birds like H. Buzzard, Wood-warbler, Woodcock, Whinchat, Lesser Spotpecker, Redstart (determined to get better looks at this) and Firecrest.

I would have thought living here for 10 years would have been long enough to find these, but apparently not. I am here on holiday right now until 30th July. Situated in Hythe right now.

Are stock doves really that common in the New Forest? I have not previously seen them in the forest before despite coming here regularly in my past.

Last edited:
lesser spot can be found in denny wood ( near beaulieu heath), redstarts and woodcock (tho dusk for them) can be found at beaulieu heath. Acres down for honey buzzard. Firecrest easy in certain locations in NF. But not sure if i can give exact locations

Going to Acres Down tommorow earlyish actually.

I've missed them many times there, and even met other birders there who (funnily enough) have also missed them. Maybe it will be better this time, but Acres is a big place.

Denny Wood drove me insane cause that's a giant place with too many paths too, but it might be worth a revisit.

Also need kingfisher thinking about it, I suppose there must be somewhere in the New Forest for this?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back