• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Swifts in winter (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

Do Common Swifts ever "stray" into the Middle East in winter (Dec- Jan) ?, or are there resident / non breeding populations there ?. I am presuming that this period would be way too early for them to be on their spring migration and by the same token way too late for the Africa bound winter migrants.

Not sure I understand, initially you were asking if Common Swifts ever 'strayed' to the Middle East in winter, I replied from my Lebanon experience and records for Lebanon, ie, none in Dec-Jan!
Sorry if I wasn't clear................

No personal experience, but Pallid is mapped as resident / present in winter for parts of the Middle East, including Kuwait; given the lack of detailed info for Iraq, it wouldn't surprise me if that applied to Baghdad too :t:

Common isn't mapped as wintering anywhere north of about 12°N.

No personal experience, but Pallid is mapped as resident / present in winter for parts of the Middle East, including Kuwait; given the lack of detailed info for Iraq, it wouldn't surprise me if that applied to Baghdad too :t:

Common isn't mapped as wintering anywhere north of about 12°N.

Thanks for the reply and interesting info.
They're certainly not resident around the Baghdad area, as I've seen them only twice, calling and wheeling quite high up and then they're gone within 5 minutes or so !. Still, something about them tells me Common rather than Pallid, but that's only a birder's hunch !

Must admit, I'd favour Pallid - checking up, Baghdad is only around 400-450 km from known Pallid wintering sites, and that's within range for a 1 or 2 day feeding trip in suitable weather conditions. Conversely, you're a good 2700 km from the nearest mapped Common Swift wintering sites.

Unless you're really close, they are very difficult to tell apart on sight; if they've been calling it gets a little easier, as Pallid has a slightly deeper, more 'throaty' call - try listening to the recordings on Xeno-canto to see which matches best:
Common
Pallid
(best to select recordings from as close to Baghdad as possible, in case of regional variation)

Thanks Nutcracker, I'll go with Pallids for now, and I'll certainly pay closer attention to their calls if I do see them again ! ... All the same, it's a lovely thing to see swifts flying overhead in winter !

Saw them again on a couple of occasions and indeed as Nutcracker suggests they are Pallids. They didn't call but the lighter colour was pretty evident.

I wonder if their status is changing from a wandering day feeder and becoming closer to being a wintering/resident ??? !.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back