• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

More Rosettes

Early Purple and Lady Orchid rosettes from North Kent the other day. Had a look for Green Winged rosettes South of Maidstone, but it's too early. Will check out Bluewater for Bee Orchid rosettes again soon and if any show will petition Bluewater not to mow them all down again this year.
Dave

Attachments

• early purple orchid rosette stockbury 200115xxx.jpg
    early purple orchid rosette stockbury 200115xxx.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 208
  • lady orchid rosette stockbury 200115xxx.jpg
    lady orchid rosette stockbury 200115xxx.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
I had a look yesterday for Green-winged rosettes at a couple of sites, but none showing yet.
I was pleased to find some Bee orchid rosettes at a site where the plants were strimmed last year before they had a chance to flower.

Rog

I had a walk round Darenth country park today (as it was warmer) near Dartford in Kent. I was very pleased to see 2 Man Orchid rosettes coming up. I found these 2 years back as a new colony and last year they didn't appear at all, so I was worried they'd been dug up! They're in the exact same place as the Man Orchids in flower seen 2 years ago.
Bee Orchids were nearby 2 years ago as well, they didn't reappear last year either, no sign of their rosettes yet.
Dave

Attachments

• man orchid rosette darenth cp 250115axxx.jpg
    man orchid rosette darenth cp 250115axxx.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 241
  • man orchid rosette darenth cp 250115xxx.jpg
    man orchid rosette darenth cp 250115xxx.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 244
Today I saw several Bee Orchid rosettes on short grass by police office lake at Bluewater. I have emailed them to ask them not to mow them down this year, as they did so last year. In 2013 I saw 2 of the best Bee Orchids there ever, with over 10 flowers on each spike!

Green Winged Orchid rosettes have now come up at Scotney Castle, house lawn, which is a protected SSSI in its own right.
Dave

Attachments

• green winged orchid rosette anacamptis morio scotney house lawn 070215xxx.jpg
    green winged orchid rosette anacamptis morio scotney house lawn 070215xxx.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 295
Photo of a Bluewater Bee Orchid rosette as mentioned above.

Attachments

• bee orchid rosette ophrys apifera bluewater xxx.jpg
    bee orchid rosette ophrys apifera bluewater xxx.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 541
Today I saw several Bee Orchid rosettes on short grass by police office lake at Bluewater. I have emailed them to ask them not to mow them down this year, as they did so last year. In 2013 I saw 2 of the best Bee Orchids there ever, with over 10 flowers on each spike!

Good news. Bluewater have set up an eco unit to develop chalk grassland, flora and fauna within the site and will not be mowing down their orchids any more. Will be meeting them in June for a botanical survey along with Kent Botanical Recording Group representative.

So if you have a similar situation in your area, contact them, explain the situation and hopefully good things will happen!
Dave

Sawfly orchid

Not sure how widely known it is that we have a new species to look for this year...doesn't seem to have attracted very much attention:
Sawfly Orchid, O. tenthredinifera

Not sure how widely known it is that we have a new species to look for this year...doesn't seem to have attracted very much attention:
Sawfly Orchid, O. tenthredinifera

Are site details published in the journal? (Not asking for you to post them on here!)

Whether windblown or planted it's a fab-looking plant.

This is my third season hunting with help from this chat group. Really looking forward to getting out about the Chilterns and hopefully Kent again.

On the list for this year are Monkey, LSO and Lady which I missed last year. Being self employed this year should help a bit!

With another mild winter seemingly behind us, are the experts here predicting similar bloom times to 2014?

Rafe

Great butterfly orchid rosettes

I've been monitoring orchid rosettes in my local area, and the early purples have started to form buds, there are many bee rosettes this year, the lizards have been out for about 2 months (growing very slowly now, after appearing almost overnight), and this Greater Butterfly Orchid is just starting to emerge - growing next to last year's flowering stem.

Attachments

• first-glimpse-of-greater-butterfly-orchid2.jpg
    first-glimpse-of-greater-butterfly-orchid2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 135
Been watching the Durlstone website too. Today they comment that no orchids have been seen yet! Obviously things are running a little late! No news from East Kent either!

Been watching the Durlstone website too. Today they comment that no orchids have been seen yet! Obviously things are running a little late! No news from East Kent either!

E Kent is usually 3+ weeks behind Durlston, so not surprising no news yet from there. As for Durlston, eagerly checking the blog each day.

Benthall Edge, Shropshire

Twayblade and Greater Butterfly orchids coming through.

Mike

Attachments

• 20150404_172357.jpg
    20150404_172357.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 146
  • 20150404_173806.jpg
    20150404_173806.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back