• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors, Raptors and more Raptors (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Had a couple of Dutch birders today who wanted some raptors to photograph. I turned up at the meeting point, a garage, about 30 mins early (my car was in it) and thought I would have a wander.

First couple of birds were the usual Griffons but then 3 Honey Buzzards and a couple of Black Kite followed by the 'Royal' cousin the Red Kite hang on an Egyptian Vulture and another and a third blimey (anyone breathed yet?) Sparrowhawk and whats that a Short-Toed Eagle get phone to take picture of STE then a Lammergeier just below the ridge line and a Peregrine above it 2 Hobbys very low and very fast and a Booted Egale no wait its another Honey Buzzard no behind it yep a Booted Eagle and a common Buzzard - can I sit down yet!

What an amazing first 20 minutes. Shame that most of it had gone by the time the meeting time came round!

Fortunately the STE showed well, and Kestrel, but none of the headliners. Headed off to find a Black Kite 'hotspot' but not in great numbers at stop one, nor two. Found 5 Hobbies which were nice but we were put off by a military drone (we were on their land) and left. Last chance saloon and off to Tarbes.

A few distant B Kites then some more ok about 600 of them. Fantastic. God knows how many were perched down in the trees as well as though in the air. A couple more Booted Eagles and a wandering Griffon Vulture led to a successful afternoon. I had some other birds such as Cirl Bunting, Melodious Warblers but if they weren't big and flying they we off the menu for the photographers.

Back to the garage for the car and we were greeted by a pair of Egyptian circling above!

Brilliant afternoon - I make it 13 raptors....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back