• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

By the way, speaking of rattling Swaro's, Leica's with lint and dirt inside them, and poorly maufactured or designed focus knob on Zeiss: i had a look (two hours in the park) today at the new Leupold Gold Ring 10x42. My buddy brought his Swaro SLC 10x42 and my wife her Celestron 9.5x44 ED. I had borrowed a Leica Trinovid 10x42 the day before for this comparisson.
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, i am proud to say that i will buy an American made product, designed and manufactured in Oregon. It is SUPERIOR optically and functionally to everything present in the park today. Brighter than the Trinovid, just as sharp or better than the SLC, excellent FOV and DOF, and color rendition better than the 9.5x ED. Fantastic contrast and light gathering.
It only cost $999. Leupold repairs these babies "no questions asked". I strongly suggest you set aside any bias and give them a try. You will be surprised. I did not like the silver stripes and accents, but hey, i can live with that. ;)

I hope there as good as you say Otto,optically I mean,have no doubts about their rugedness.If they are as you say I will be joining you in the purchase of an American product.They look good to.

JCJ

Well, they are sort of "American Made". Like all Leupold products, the glass and other components are of hi-grade Japanese sources. Personally, I think they should say assembled in America. They have that legal definition down pat.

ranburr

elkcub said:
Hi Otto,

What are the FOV and near focus specs?

Thanks,
Elkcub
FOV = 340 FT/1000 YD., OR 113 M / 1000 METER.
CLOSE FOCUS WAS ABOUT 2 - 2.5 METER )6-7 FT) TO MY EYES.
They don't seem to be sold yet, i saw a show sample.

I highly recommend that you give them a chance, because they are right up there with the big boys, and Leupold has fantastic warranty and customer support.

leupold golden rings

Otto,where did you find the leupold golden ring 10x42.I am interested in checking a pair out.I have heard nothing but good things about the bino, hope it is true.I had a 10x42 slc and loved the view ,does the lepold have the edge sharpness as the slc.

Otto McDiesel said:
FOV = 340 FT/1000 YD., OR 113 M / 1000 METER.
CLOSE FOCUS WAS ABOUT 2 - 2.5 METER )6-7 FT) TO MY EYES.
They don't seem to be sold yet, i saw a show sample.

I highly recommend that you give them a chance, because they are right up there with the big boys, and Leupold has fantastic warranty and customer support.

Yes, indeed, the specs are impressive for a 10x42. I'll give a look when I can. Thanks for the advise.

-elk

The Leupold 10x42 HAS the edge sharpness of the 10x42 SLC, but you have to try it for yourself. Just like any other binoculars, at the very edge the image is a bit distorted, but this is valid for SLC as well. I LIKED IT VERY MUCH. I don't know how it would compare to Ultravid and Zeiss FL, i will give it a try again in a few weeks when i am ready to buy.
I did not find and buy them yet. What i saw was a sample given by a guy who works for a sports/hunting distribution company.

Hi to all.
I wish I had something useful to add to this discussion, but I really don't. I am interested in these units, but all I know about them is what is in this discussion and what is advertised in the Leupold web-site. The interest centers on their performance, this being an American product (All but the glass, probably. I don't think that there are any other US makers.), and Leupold's reputation for service. I've noted a couple of things from their website page on which I'd like to hear comments: (1) the site describes a feature they refer to as matching the characteristics/coatings(?) of the individual lenses of the optical system (why not "maximize" for each lens, assuming they are not doing this?); and (2) the position of the strap lugs looks as if they might bear on the web of the hand, between the thumb and index finger (can Otto McDiesel comment on this?). Thanks.

SteveF said:
Hi to all.
I wish I had something useful to add to this discussion, but I really don't. I am interested in these units, but all I know about them is what is in this discussion and what is advertised in the Leupold web-site. The interest centers on their performance, this being an American product (All but the glass, probably. I don't think that there are any other US makers.), and Leupold's reputation for service. I've noted a couple of things from their website page on which I'd like to hear comments: (1) the site describes a feature they refer to as matching the characteristics/coatings(?) of the individual lenses of the optical system (why not "maximize" for each lens, assuming they are not doing this?); and (2) the position of the strap lugs looks as if they might bear on the web of the hand, between the thumb and index finger (can Otto McDiesel comment on this?). Thanks.

I don't know about the matched index coatings and such, it's probably something that other manufacturers already use, but don't advertise.
The strap lugs were unnoticeable and did not get in the way.
Try before you buy, your hands may be different.
If the hinge is properly made, the inter-pupilary distance lock may be unnecessary for most birding applications, but I can see it useful for hunting (if binoculars are used instead of a rifle, to kill animals).
:bounce:

I wonder why Leupold products aren't available in the UK. I wonder too whether the glass elements may be the same as those that go into the latest Opticron DBA series bins that, I'm told give Leica et al a good run for their money. Whilst we're talking Leupold products why do their neat little 60mm scopes have such a low zoom range (x12-40 I think); doesn't it put birders off the product? John

John, Leupold's primary customer base is hunters. Thus, the magnification range on the handy little spotters is absolutely ideal for this application. I do not know that Loopy has ever marketed a product that was designed first and foremost with birders in mind.

ranburr

John Cantelo said:
I wonder why Leupold products aren't available in the UK. I wonder too whether the glass elements may be the same as those that go into the latest Opticron DBA series bins that, I'm told give Leica et al a good run for their money. Whilst we're talking Leupold products why do their neat little 60mm scopes have such a low zoom range (x12-40 I think); doesn't it put birders off the product? John

You haven't missed much from the unavailability of Leupold products. The only bins of theirs worth considering have been the Pinnacles which meet their match with less expensive Nikon Monarchs and Celestron Nobles.

And its not the zoom range that have put birders off the 60mm scope, its the rather abysmal optical permformance. The latest gold ring iteration may be worth a gander.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back