• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Dont know about rare - its an absolute MEGA!

There have only ever been three sightings at Upton Warren and I have yet to meet anyone who is convinced by any of them.

The last sighting was in 1986 when the annual report simply stated "a bird thought to be of this species was seen in the Spring".

All I will say is that, without a visual description to support this claim, it is probably inadmissible as a credible record. However, please understand that this is not to detract from the competence of any of the observers. In the recent past I have been convinced that I've heard the distinctive nasal 'tzaarr tzaarr' call of a Willow Tit in the education reserve only to be disapointed when it turned out to be one of the very varied calls of a Great Tit.

All I will say is that, without a visual description to support this claim, it is probably inadmissible as a credible record. However, please understand that this is not to detract from the competence of any of the observers. In the recent past I have been convinced that I've heard the distinctive nasal 'tzaarr tzaarr' call of a Willow Tit in the education reserve only to be disapointed when it turned out to be one of the very varied calls of a Great Tit.

Having heard many Marsh Tits over the years during my many years birding regularly in both Eymore Wood and Wyre Forest, where they are still reasonably common breeding birds, I can tell you that it definitely was a Marsh Tit calling (not a Great Tits odd ball call).

I respect the fact that you state that you dont wish to detract from the competance of the observers Dave. But I am no novice and what I heard is what I heard. I am not trying to claim anything or prove apoint I thought I would let folk know so that they would be aware of the possibility of one being around!

I seem to have cross posted with Dave and Jason here, but my point would be, a visual description would be open to great debate where as a call could not be.

Having heard many Marsh Tits over the years during my many years birding regularly in both Eymore Wood and Wyre Forest, where they are still reasonably common breeding birds, I can tell you that it definitely was a Marsh Tit calling (not a Great Tits odd ball call).

I respect the fact that you state that you dont wish to detract from the competance of the observers Dave. But I am no novice and what I heard is what I heard. I am not trying to claim anything or prove apoint I thought I would let folk know so that they would be aware of the possibility of one being around!

OK We'll keep an eye out for it. As I said, a visual (in addition to vocal) is definitely required to pin down this and Willow for positive ID. I know you are no novice Jase. I'm not either but I've been surprised in the past by unexpected vocalisations. I appreciate the 'heads up'.

Last edited:
OK We'll keep an eye out for it. As I said, a visual (in addition to vocal) is definitely required to pin down this and Willow for positive ID. I know you are no novice Jase. I'm not either but I've been surprised in the past by unexpected vocalisations.

I hope some one does nail it but as it was just a heard only we will probably never know. I have, as you say, heard Great Tits make calls similar to both Willow and Marsh at times but in my experience the Great Tits never seem to be quite as loud and nasally as the latter. I guess we will never know....lets hope there is one kicking about

I hope some one does nail it but as it was just a heard only we will probably never know. I have, as you say, heard Great Tits make calls similar to both Willow and Marsh at times but in my experience the Great Tits never seem to be quite as loud and nasally as the latter. I guess we will never know....lets hope there is one kicking about

I really hope it's nailed down - I need it for UW and I only saw a couple of them anywhere last year. Cracking little things - underappreciated in the past when they were generally easier to come by. :t:

I really hope it's nailed down - I need it for UW and I only saw a couple of them anywhere last year. Cracking little things - underappreciated in the past when they were generally easier to come by. :t:

You know baclk in the 90's me and my mate Craig Round used to see both Willow and Marsh in good numbers along the River Severn between Arley and Trimpley...infact one year we watched Willows returning to a nest site with food there...how things have changed with both these species nationally.

Did a walk in the Wyre a couple of weeks back and saw Marsh Tits in 4 seperate locations but no sign of any Willow. Can't remember how many years back it was I last saw Willow Tit in Worcs

Yet over in the West Mids and South Staffs Willow is still hanging on and Marsh is the scarcer.

Its a crying shame that we could eventually lose both species locally!

You know baclk in the 90's me and my mate Craig Round used to see both Willow and Marsh in good numbers along the River Severn between Arley and Trimpley...infact one year we watched Willows returning to a nest site with food there...how things have changed with both these species nationally.

Did a walk in the Wyre a couple of weeks back and saw Marsh Tits in 4 seperate locations but no sign of any Willow. Can't remember how many years back it was I last saw Willow Tit in Worcs

Yet over in the West Mids and South Staffs Willow is still hanging on and Marsh is the scarcer.

Its a crying shame that we could eventually lose both species locally!

Last time I saw Willow Tit was new years eve 2010 - at Sandwell Valley. Last one in Worcs was the Old Grimley bird three or four years ago. I saw Marsh Tits in Trench and King's Woods last year but I wonder how long these will manage to persist. An unthinkable situation when I first started birding in the early 1980's.

Last time I saw Willow Tit was new years eve 2010 - at Sandwell Valley. Last one in Worcs was the Old Grimley bird three or four years ago. I saw Marsh Tits in Trench and King's Woods last year but I wonder how long these will manage to persist. An unthinkable situation when I first started birding in the early 1980's.

I visit Trench Wood a couple of times a year during the butterfly season and usually see Marsh Tit there. I also usually get them near Penny Hill Bank NR near Martley but they are becoming increasingly more and more scarce each year.

A Marsh Tit at Upton would be, as Phil says, an absolute MEGA. Mark says he needs it; as far as i'm aware virtually everyone needs it! Willow Tit was, up until 6-7 years ago, more or less a given at Upton especially when they discovered the feeding station at the Moors Pool. Unfortunately sightings have gone the way of the rest of the county and I haven't seen one in Worcs since the demise of the Bittell birds about five years ago. Other than the fact that I'd be delighted to add Marsh Tit to my Upton list, I'd be happy with a sighting of either species at Upton this year. Mind you, I'd be quite happy with a Lesser Pecker too :-C

Late news of a drake Wigeon , 1 Avocet and a Green Sand (only the second for the year) at the Flashes on Thursday. No sigm of the Redshank this morning but 4 Avocet.

Thought I wouldshare a couple of photos that I took at the Moors Pool yesterday.

Attachments

• Cormorant resize - Upton Warren Moors Pool, 2nd March 2012.jpg
    Cormorant resize - Upton Warren Moors Pool, 2nd March 2012.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Little Grebe - Upton Warren Moors Pool, 2nd March 2012.jpg
    Little Grebe - Upton Warren Moors Pool, 2nd March 2012.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 55
I visit Trench Wood a couple of times a year during the butterfly season and usually see Marsh Tit there. I also usually get them near Penny Hill Bank NR near Martley but they are becoming increasingly more and more scarce each year.

We were on a field trip to Monk Wood (Worcestershire) last spring with the university doing transects for species counts when myself and Fraser saw a Marsh Tit, it was the first I had seen :t:

Saturday 3rd March

FLASHES
4 Avocet, 2 Gadwall (pair), 45 Lapwing, 14 Curlew, 52 Teal, 1 Mute Swan,2 Grey Heron, 31 Canada Geese, 10 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull, 3 Pheasant, Rook over the climbing frame, 4 Lesser Redpoll in scrub by the steps.

MOORS POOL
4 Oystercatcher, 4 Snipe (8 reported by Gert), 1 Grey Heron, 17 Cormorant, 34 Tufted Duck, 7 Pochard, 14 Shoveler, 10 Teal, 80 Coot (incl 2 on North Moors), 6 Moorhen, 3 Canada Geese, 2 Gadwall (pair) in SW marsh, Shelduck male, 2 LBB Gull, Herring Gull, 3 Pheasant on East Island, 4 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, Rook reported by Gert. Several Goldcrests along the Salwarpe.

SAILING POOL

4 GC Grebe, 2 Coot, 1 Cormorant, 1 Mute Swan, McTabby ;)

Found out that Tracey (Binus) is getting married next Saturday, just like me (although not to each other!). Spooky! :eek!:

Would also add my appreciation of the new bridge / boardwalk from the West Hide to the Salwarpe.

Last edited:
FLASHES
4 Avocet, 2 Gadwall (pair), 45 Lapwing, 14 Curlew, 52 Teal, 1 Mute Swan,2 Grey Heron, 31 Canada Geese, 10 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull, 3 Pheasant, Rook over the climbing frame, 4 Lesser Redpoll in scrub by the steps.

MOORS POOL
4 Oystercatcher, 4 Snipe (8 reported by Gert), 1 Grey Heron, 17 Cormorant, 34 Tufted Duck, 7 Pochard, 14 Shoveler, 10 Teal, 80 Coot (incl 2 on North Moors), 6 Moorhen, 3 Canada Geese, 2 Gadwall (pair) in SW marsh, Shelduck male, 2 LBB Gull, Herring Gull, 3 Pheasant on East Island, 4 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, Rook reported by Gert. Several Firecrests along the Salwarpe.

SAILING POOL

4 GC Grebe, 2 Coot, 1 Cormorant, 1 Mute Swan, McTabby ;)

Found out that Tracey (Binus) is getting married next Saturday, just like me (although not to each other!). Spooky! :eek!:

Would also add my appreciation of the new bridge / boardwalk from the West Hide to the Salwarpe.

Several Firecrests :eek!::eek!::-O

The reserve is improving!

Jim

FLASHES
Several Firecrests along the Salwarpe.
Kept that Quiet:smoke:

Found out that Tracey (Binus) is getting married next Saturday, just like me (although not to each other! are you sure DARLING I thought this colour would be nice for the happy couple). Hope you are happy together and visit us as a couple 8-P

And while we are at it....many thanks to Phil not the one above but a member.. for the kind donating of some garden tools:t:

Several Firecrests :eek!::eek!::-O

The reserve is improving!

Jim

Sorry for any excitment caused - only bog standard Goldcrests (I had just been thinking how long it had been since the last Firecrest record at UW).

No sight / sound of Marsh Tit in the Hen Pool area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back