• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Definition of the term "continuing" (1 Viewer)

Bobul

I currently receive the Ebird daily update for rare birds in my area. In those descriptions of birds seen in my area, I often see the term "continuing" used in the notes section at the bottom of the email. Birders who have seen these birds often leave just that word "continuing" in their notes section. Is this a term used for a flyover? Or is it something describing the fact that the bird has been seen multiple days in a row? I would greatly appreciate anyone who could enlighten me on this term.

It means that the bird concerned was reported previously at the location in question and is still there.

I currently receive the Ebird daily update for rare birds in my area. In those descriptions of birds seen in my area, I often see the term "continuing" used in the notes section at the bottom of the email. Birders who have seen these birds often leave just that word "continuing" in their notes section. Is this a term used for a flyover? Or is it something describing the fact that the bird has been seen multiple days in a row? I would greatly appreciate anyone who could enlighten me on this term.

Also, eBird usually requires photos or detailed ID notes for rare species to be confirmed. If notes have already been provided and the ID confirmed by previous observers, a birder will often write "continuing" in the notes section when reporting a rarity to indicate that the reviewer (or another birder) should look to previous reports for more detailed info if he wants it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back