• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of owl (1 Viewer)

edstrong

Advice please. At last there's an owl nesting in the barn owl box I put up in my field last year. I've caught it on a trailcam so here's the link to the video. The owl box is 60 cm wide and the entrance hole 12 wide to give you a sense of scale. I'm not sure what the owl is though as it doesn't look like (or as big as) the barn owl that is hunting in the field (and this owl heads off in another direction when it's caught its prey). The camera is operating in night-time infra-red mode hence the slightly odd image.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_A3gcAS2rAcd0ZOZlhfZXgxSTg

Thanks for your considered opinion!

In my experience though, flying owls at night look bigger than they actually are - at least LEOs, probably de to their long wings. Barn Owls are similarly proportioned, so it probably applies to them too.

It's definitely a barn owl! I was walking past the nest box during the day and it flew out right in front of me. I also noticed that a pair of crows were going in and out, and spotted them one afternoon chasing the barn owl out. I wasn't sure about interfering but made the decision to check inside the box, to find a huge nest of twigs, grass, wool, obviously not made by the barn owl. I cleared this out and the crows have gone away, and the barn owl is back and much happier:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_A3gcAS2rAca0c0UWxXZXpYQkE

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back