• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in North East England (1 Viewer)

rayl

Not to be outdone by our Scottish neighbours ;-) we have a small population of Red Kites, which have just been released this year, about 20 birds.
I spent a very enjoyable day yesterday with an old school friend checking them out. They were released in the Derwent Valley, this was our playground when we were kids, and this makes it even more exciting to relive childhood memories and watch such amazing birds.
If you are interested in exploring the area there is some good information on the following link http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk.

Ray.

One of the Derwentside Kites has been seen regularly in Hamsterly Forest about 1 mile west of Woodland village on the forest edge. It's radio tagged and was recently tracked.

I've been planning on a trip up to Derwentside to see them. I normally go up to Thornley Woodland Centre in the Winter months, but are there any suggestions as to the best viewing point for the Kites?

Last edited:
IanF said:
I've been planning on a trip up to Derwentside to see them. I normally go up to Thornley Woodland Centre in the Winter months, but are there any suggestions as to the best viewing point for the Kites?

Yes Ian, on the website already mentioned www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk. My favourite website ! There are a number of good viewpoints around the Derwent Valley. Perhaps you might like to email the administrator of that particular site ( I do regularly ) or pm me if you wish !

Tom

Red Kites

If you are interested in exploring the area there is some good information on the following link http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk.

Ray.[/QUOTE]
I will definately have a look at the web site as I had been wondering how the birds had being doing. I to would be interested to know where there is a good viewing point.

I understand one of the Kites was seen in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. Who would of believed a short time ago that we would have Red Kites in the Skies of Newcastle? Brian

Thanks for that Tom,

I wish my local club's webiste was quite so active and informative.

I viewed the webiste but read the info about the Kites on the left pane rather than on the right ;)

Rowlands Gill end of the Derwentside Walk sounds a good bet.

Ianf and Brianfm, I would be happy to have a day out with you, PM me. Alternatively, if you call at the Thornley Centre, they will help with directions.

Helenol thanks for the link, good to hear they all survived, I hope some time in the near future I can have a similar experience here in Geordieland.

Ray

All the best for the reintroduction project in the North East.

I've been following the project in Northants from its inception and never miss the annual visit to the winter roost or a tour of the breeding area.

Went on an RSPB walk today to the Red Kite roost in Derwent Valley. I don' much like birding in big groups but having failed to find the Kites previously I thought I would give it ago. Pleased to say I saw at least 7 Kites out of a roost of what I believe is 13.
Some good views.

Brian

Hi Brian thanks for the update.

I was up that way last weekend and saw ten for certain and possibly all 14 that have been roosting in Barlow Burn. They were above the wood at Ricklees Farm and gradually moved down the valley towards the tip. Good views were had from the pub car park in Barlow.

Is that where you saw them at?

Today I had a trip to Low Barns and then on to Egglestone in Teesdale where one of the Northern Kites has moved to but I couldn't find it in the dull weather though two Buzzards were about which it has been roosting with at Paddock Wood.

Red Kites

IanF said:
Hi Brian thanks for the update.

I was up that way last weekend and saw ten for certain and possibly all 14 that have been roosting in Barlow Burn. They were above the wood at Ricklees Farm and gradually moved down the valley towards the tip. Good views were had from the pub car park in Barlow.

Is that where you saw them at?.

Hi Ian

Yes thats right, at Barlow. I think perhaps the walk was unnecessary as views from the pub car park through the scope were as good as any. The walk started to late in my opinion and by the time we were close to the roost the light had gone, not helped by the drizzle. On a clearer day I reckon you would get fantastic sightings from the farm.

Cheers Brian

If you do go back then the best views I had were from the roadside near Ricklees Farm in the valley bottom between High Spen and Greenside. The locals were actually wandering down by the burn towards Barlow Lane. I drove round to Barlow Lane from the Greenside end and got close up views as they circled down the valley towards the tip where they have been feeding.

10.00 am is early enough to start as they aren't early risers and as the days shorten even later maybe better.

I'd have gone on the walk mysef if it had been a little earlier starting. I don't know what possessed them to start it so late in the day.

Why don't you try late afternoon, say 4..ish? (for the roost, that is).

I'm off on a kite walk tomorrow, hopefully to see them roost. Apparantly, up to 200 birds can be seen in the more favoured roost sites.

Red Kites

Thanks for the extra info Ian. I will no doubt be going back in the near future and will have a good scout around.

Good luck tomorrow Helen. 200 makes my 7 sound very feeble indeed but hopefully I may have something like that to look forward to in the future up here!! ;)

Brian

john gardiner said:
saw 11 Red Kites at Ricklees Farm last Sunday morning by the roadside, I think its the most likely site to see them.

was supposed to be there myself today, but was tied up going to the footy instead - we ended up getting stuffed 4-1 :C . i know where i should of spent my sunday.....

Red Kites

salty said:
was supposed to be there myself today, but was tied up going to the footy instead - we ended up getting stuffed 4-1 :C . i know where i should of spent my sunday.....

You really chose the MAGPIES rather than the RED KITES? SHAME ;)

Seriously, get yourself to Barlow Salty, and you won't be able to miss them.

Brian

brianfm said:
Seriously, get yourself to Barlow Salty, and you won't be able to miss them.
Brian

i'll be there next weekend - think i will 'take a break' from footy for a while! :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back