• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Wiktoria said:
I feel worse than you :p
I love watching birds, no "numbering" new sorts ;]

I haven't got this happiness - my familly not like birds (no special) :(
I interesed birds short time, but I can't live without birds now |;|
Don't feel alone. Many birders share this problem. I would like to get my family outdoors more often. Mostly it works with bicycling.

Pony riding for my sister. And my mum's always saying, "that remind's me, I saw a little brown bird when I was in the car this morning", and my heart sinks. Dad likes coming with me to really nice places like Prawle Point, and if the area and weather are nice, really enjoys watching what's there.

The Yellow-legged Gull said:
hiiiii im sarah, live in the uk! i love birds, im 13 and hav a life list of 201 in the uk, best bird defenitely the yellow-legged gull... strange i no but i love gulls, theyr awesome!

anyone out there my age? hi if there is! look forward to a reply!!
I've sent you a PM

I too love watching gulls, but all who know me will realise that they really aren't my strong point in terms of i.d.

However, I did pick out a Yellow-legged Gull at Rutland a few months ago (the only one I've seen). Don't know how I did that... fluke I suppose

Sam

Blue_Jay said:
I go biking alot too, but it's too fast pace to spot a bird, so I perfer hiking.
I enjoy biking as well, but, like you say, often too fast for birding. Still, recently I've had both Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Peregrine on my bike (well, I was on my bike - not the birds...) which are both fairly good records for my part of the country.

Sam

I don't usually bike n' bird, but I've seen red-tails, merlins, ospreys, woodpeckers, kinglets, orioles, and such whilst biking around my neighborhood.
Today is a good day, "my" red-tailed hawk has returned. She is very large, probably a female, pale (with almost no belly band and light brown feathers), and she has been around my neighborhood the past few winters. She usually comes in November and leaves in March, and she is much bigger than the locals. She doesn't hunt normal either, instead of perch-hunting, she actively pursues starlings and pigeons over long distances (although she did catch a squirrel and eat it on our roof). Today, she reappeared, soaring over a pigeon that was flying for its life, looking down on it. However, when it turned, she ignored it and flew away.

My parents love biking. I not like riding bike, when watching birds, becouse must stopping often (if I want watching small birds into binocularis) or drive in tree or hole ;]

The Firecrest said:
And my mum's always saying, "that remind's me, I saw a little brown bird when I was in the car this morning"
My parents and grandparents saying it too |;|

Sorry I keep changing my name on you guys! I would like to officially apologise. I'm OwlTalon from now on (the Snowy Owl was my favorite bird since I was two), but I just couldn't decide on a good name! TCondorOwl92, TerrorBird, took me a couple of tries to get what I wanted!
I saw my first backyard Merlin yesterday (although I saw my first neighborhood Merlin a month ago), it zoomed over the feeder and scattered the House sparrows, unfortunately they came back to hog the feeder once the imminent threat of the falcon was gone.
It's almost ofiicially winter, andwhen it is a good deal of my weekends will be spent at Jones Beach, looking for Long-tailed ducks, Surf scoters, Lesser Black-backed gulls, Glaucous gulls, Northern harriers, and of course the more-than-occasional-actually-fairly-common-at-this-locale Snowy.

The Firecrest said:
And my mum's always saying, "that remind's me, I saw a little brown bird when I was in the car this morning"
How many times have I heard that one? Little brown bird? There's only about a hundred that could be in the area! And when you press them for details, you get "It was streaked." That took away about a tenth of the choices! :bounce:

Hi all,
Semi-long time birdforumer, first time poster on this thread. I'm 17 and live in Boston, MA. I am also a bird photographer, my website is in my signature. My life list is at 209, with six lifebirds today! I got lucky. The six were Hooded Merganser, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Canvasback, and American Coot. I'm applying to Cornell and Ohio Wesleyan University to study ornithology. BTW, I was Cornell's featured photographer of the month for October, in case anyone goes on their website. You can see it here- http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/bp/wilalbum/index_html

Wow, that's awesome! I wish I could get into photography, but I can't afford a good camera. I hope you have a nice time chit-chatting in this thread.

Senceraly,
Brandon.

When I read abotu your observations from America, I feel a bit strange, because the species are totally unknown for me. I am from Europe and I know completely different birds :). Recently I saw one new species fo me (Red-Necked Loon or Diver, again I know two different names :) ).

What do you mean by yellow-legged gull? Can you write science name?
There were a lot of genetic research, and there is messy in gull's names.

E.g. in Poland Avifaunistic commision established this classification:
Larus argentatus Herring Gull

Larus cachinnans Caspian Gull

Larus michahellis Yellow-legged Gull

(only the most confusing species)
How is in your country?

Well, Sunday I go to Pelham Bay with Audubon, where they always see saw-whets and usually see long and short-ears, all of which I never saw. They also have some that I see infrequently, great-horned and barred. Hopefully, it will be an owlish day!

Sounds great OwlTalon, the only owls I've ever seen are Barn Owls, and a great big and beautiful Snowy Owl in downtown Boston, right out in front of my school!!! December 7th, about 1:30p.m., I'll never forget it. :'D

If the name and avatar aren't dead give-aways, I love owls, Snowy being the BEST, especially since they show up right around my hometown in winter.
I seen three Great-horns, one Barred (and lured in another with a recording, only heard it), one Barn, one Great-gray, heard numerous Screechs, but they still avoid me, and one handsome immature male Snowy at the beach.
Today, I hope I will get an oppurtunity to see some turkey! (and eat a drumstick!)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back