• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Bird Id Help please (1 Viewer)

jtwood

This image was taken at Savegre in the Highlands of Costa Rica can anyone help with ID

Attachments

• Unknown CR_0216.jpg
    Unknown CR_0216.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 124
Is there something in particular in the photo that makes you opt for the Tropical, birdboy? Or is is a matter of range?

I am not doubting your ID, but I find this can be a tricky family.

Is there something in particular in the photo that makes you opt for the Tropical, birdboy? Or is is a matter of range?

I am not doubting your ID, but I find this can be a tricky family.

Hi John,

ruling out the similar Couch's by range, the combination of a substantial bill, short primary projection, and the fact that the wings and tail are close in color (vs. much blacker tail) all support TK.

Chris

Hi John,

ruling out the similar Couch's by range, the combination of a substantial bill, short primary projection, and the fact that the wings and tail are close in color (vs. much blacker tail) all support TK.

Chris

Just as a matter of interest, Chris, what DOES have a contrasting tail? (in the context of kingbird-like critters).

Peter C.

Just as a matter of interest, Chris, what DOES have a contrasting tail? (in the context of kingbird-like critters).

Peter C.

Hi Peter,

In the Costa Rican context, it is Western Kingbird, which has a black tail that is noticeably darker than the wings. Elsewhere, Cassin's Kingbird also fits the bill, though the tail is slightly browner than a Western.

Chris

Hi Peter,

In the Costa Rican context, it is Western Kingbird, which has a black tail that is noticeably darker than the wings. Elsewhere, Cassin's Kingbird also fits the bill, though the tail is slightly browner than a Western.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's useful.

I was just in west Mexico, and saw many Tropicals - but I imagine some Westerns might have been there undetected (if not calling); lots of other West NA migrants were around. I'll remember to try to get a look at their uppers next time!

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back