• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finder-scope for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

richard866945

Bino repair man
I have been experimenting today with a Red Dot Finder 'scope intended for an Astro Telescope and it works on a terrestrial 'scope just as well. I had to find a flat / parallel surface on the telescope to fix the finder and on the Mirador 80mm that I was using, the only parallel surface was the sunhood. I used two cable ties round the hood. Simple, cheap and effective. The finder costs £25 and the ties are a few pence each.

Hi richard,
Can you post some photos of this set up. Also where did you find the red dot finder, Ive looked for them and have only found ones suitable for rifles which looked as if they wouldn't fit too well on a scope

Red Dot Finder

Hello Bob. I have a repair workshop for optical instruments and I also sell new and s/h equipment. The Red Dot Finder is from an astro telescope and I can buy the bits from the importer. I am going to see if I can make time today to slightly modify the mount for the finder to allow just one wide cable tie to be used to fix it to my 80mm scope. If it works I will take a photo or two and post them on the forum. The mount looks as though it would also take a rifle sight. I'll check that as well. Regards Richard

richard866945 said:
Hello Bob. I have a repair workshop for optical instruments and I also sell new and s/h equipment. The Red Dot Finder is from an astro telescope and I can buy the bits from the importer.
Richard,

I think you could be onto a nice little niche business here - having just spent today birding at four different locations where I seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my scope onto the bird I could easily find with my bins, I for one would consider £25 or thereabouts money very well spent if it helped reduce the frustration!

John Fleet

Thanks,Richard,I have just posted your details on the posting I put on a couple of days ago re image locating devices.Will await with interest your findings.

Red Dot Finder scope

Hello Bob. It works. I have taken four photos but as each jpeg file was a bit big to keep the quality/detail, I have put a new page on my web site with all 4 pic's. You can find them on www.actionoptics.co.uk. I had to carry out a slight mod on the mount for the finder but now just one wide cable tie secures the finder to the scope. By using the sun hood, I could place the finder anywhere around the front of the scope so as to put it in the best position for easy viewing. Regards Richard
bob hastie said:
Hi richard,
Can you post some photos of this set up. Also where did you find the red dot finder, Ive looked for them and have only found ones suitable for rifles which looked as if they wouldn't fit too well on a scope

Red Dot Finder

Hello John. I have put a new page on my web site with 4 pic's of the finder fitted to a 'scope. It really does work. Have a look at www.actionoptics.co.uk and click on Red Dot Finder. Regards Richard QUOTE=John Fleet]Richard,

I think you could be onto a nice little niche business here - having just spent today birding at four different locations where I seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my scope onto the bird I could easily find with my bins, I for one would consider £25 or thereabouts money very well spent if it helped reduce the frustration!

John Fleet[/QUOTE]

Bob and John,I purchased Richards Red Dot finder yesterday and it arrived this morning,and yes it does work.Very simple,it has to be for me to suss it out the first time around with no help.it came with 2 cable ties and a fitted battery,total cost £34 ,that inc next day delivery by the Royal mail.I aligned the red dot ,following the simple and concise instructions,then moved the scope to another object,lined up the Red Dot on the new object,looked through the scope eyepiece and there was the new item,just needed focussing via the scope.Have not tried it with a camera attached yet,but I am confident everything will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back