• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Leupold 8x42 Acadias (1 Viewer)

Could someone advise me on the above binoculars. My local optics dealer has this model marked down. I can get them for half the price of the Nikon Monarchs 8x42's which he also has in stock.
Has anyone used them long term ? and could they advise me on there optical and build qualities.
On very brief day time look viewing they appeared reasonably bright and contrasty with no major aberrations or distortions noticed but this was a quick look only. I enjoyed the 7.5 degree F.O.V. The twist eye cups were firm. I notice on the specs however they are 'Multi Coated' not F.M.C. They are phase coated. The dealer had some higher grade Leupold Olympics for about the same price as the Monarchs.
Any advice would be appreciated - good buy ? - or not ?

Thanks

Chris from New Zealand

Chris,

I would say "good buy". I have only look through them on one occasion and was actually quite impressed with them for the price. They are comparable to the Monarchs and Bushnell Legends in terms of the overall optical package except they do have a wider field of view. I can only remember seeing one other comment on the forums about them and it was favorable as well.

I would not worry about the multicoated vs. fully multicoated issue. Some manufacturers will only apply a single coating on the outer lens surfaces with the thought that it is more scratch resistant. I don't know whether or not this is true but I doubt we are talking about a substantial difference in this case.

Thank you for the feedback. I had another look at them today and really there is not a lot to fault with them esp. for the price. Curvature of field occours from about 70 -80 % out but most of the field is usable. Optically I could not discern much difference between the Acadias and the more expensive Cascades - however it was an 'in store comparison' only. I actually prefer the central diopter focus paddle on the Acadias - much like the Minox 10x58 ED's. Something the Cascades do not have. I noticed they have a 'Philippine' sticker on the underside - not that that is an issue as they are obviously made to Leupold's strict Q. and A.
I am surprised there is not more reviews on them.
I will buy them esp. at the reduced price.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

I also have the Acadia in 8x42. I am very pleased with them. You get all of the extras found in a higher dollar bino. I spoke with leupold this am, and was told by tech. support that all of the optics are muti coated, and the prims are phase coated. I do belive that Leupold has brought us two wonderful bino. series with great specs. for a low cost.
The Yosimity series and the Acadia series

No argument there RS. They have been working with some excellent firms to come up with some solid performers in both types of prisms for very respectable prices. I think the Acadia is Leupold's response to something like the Vortex Diamondback, Zen Ray ZRS and Bushnell Excursion.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back