• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HDs, where are they made (1 Viewer)

Answered on another thread ...

"Assembled" in the US from asian optical components for some of the models at least.

e.g. the SwitchPower is based on a Japanese patent (not designed in house) so I'm not sure where it's built.

I think they may still make their own enclosures and perhaps prism/len mounts.

Ultimately one is never sure how much "assembly" is done in the USA.

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/about-us/americas-optics-authority/

The only place they mention "Made in the USA" on their web site is in their testimonial letters for their rifle scopes.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:leupold.com+"made+in+the+USA"

Anyone know the answer, they say nothing on the bin and where does the glass come from.

The Leupold website stresses it's origin as a USA company so it's probably natural that they emphasize the american component of their optical products and downplay the country of origin for non-USA components. No matter how small the relative share might be. If the optics came from Japan my guess is they would work that information into their advertising somewhere. Given the competition for sport optics I think the chances are great that many of their binocular components if not the entire binocular come from China.

I really don't care where the pieces are made - I want the assembled product to work well. Given the value country-of-origin labeling has in the marketplace, it would be interesting to read about the country-of-origin labeling rules for countries like USA, Austria, Germany and Japan.

Last edited:
I would almost bet (almost, not really ;)) that the Gold Rings are assembled in the Leupold plant in Beaverton from glass from Japanese sources. Leupold does not have the capacity to make it own glass any more.

Leupold does manufacture the bodies of their golden ring products on the premises. I don't know where their optical glass comes from, but the GR stuff is in most ordinary senses made in Oregon, not just assembled there.

Leupold does manufacture the bodies of their golden ring products on the premises. I don't know where their optical glass comes from, but the GR stuff is in most ordinary senses made in Oregon, not just assembled there.

Given that they get their glass from Japan (or China). None is made in OR or even finished in OR, AFAIK, and Leupold don't claim it on their web site) then it's interesting to see how you define "made".

The problem is putting a "hybrid" item into a single category.

But "Assembled in the USA from foreign components" is perhaps the most accurate description. After all all the bits you actually look through (i.e. most of the parts of the bin) are not made in the USA.

Of course for a hunter orientated company like Leupold it is important to give the feeling that they are Made in the USA (though carefully checking the web site shows they are vague about what is and isn't made in OR). Even if they have to fudge it a bit.

Given that they get their glass from Japan (or China). None is made in OR or even finished in OR, AFAIK, and Leupold don't claim it on their web site) then it's interesting to see how you define "made".

The problem is putting a "hybrid" item into a single category.

But "Assembled in the USA from foreign components" is perhaps the most accurate description. After all all the bits you actually look through (i.e. most of the parts of the bin) are not made in the USA.

Of course for a hunter orientated company like Leupold it is important to give the feeling that they are Made in the USA (though carefully checking the web site shows they are vague about what is and isn't made in OR). Even if they have to fudge it a bit.

What in tarnation? Why, if I had knowd that those Yosemites were made by ornery flag burnin' commies, I wouldn't a bought 'em, I tell ya. No siree, those shark-livered varmits!

I always suspected that Orogon was a hideout for commies. Ain't that where that cult led by Bhagswan Harikrishna was at? And the Unimart Bomber?

Dadburnit, I'm just going have to go back to usin' my B & L Zephyrs, which wahr made in the good ole' US of A.

And ta think, I'd be usin' a commie bin for over a year. I got ta take a showr, and put on some Toby Keith and cleanse my red, white, and blue soul!

Bubba O. Reilly

%^&* Brock! LOL Now I've got to clean all the coffee I just spit laughing all over my keyboard!

I'm all set to order celebratory Kung Poa Shrimp take out when my ZenRey ED2 7x36 bins are delivered too! hehehehe

Back on topic, my Leupold 9x35 IF Gold Rings were made in the USA. Of course they're vintage dating from '83-'87.

Last edited:
This says it pretty clearly, I think. The lenses are imported, but everything else about the golden ring products is manufactured in Beaverton.

This says it pretty clearly, I think. The lenses are imported, but everything else about the golden ring products is manufactured in Beaverton.

I've cited that page before here. And pointed out what it doesn't say: Made in the USA. It dances around the issue rather well.

Note that that page mentioned only the riflescopes (starting in the first paragraph). All other mentions are about riflescopes. They don't say anything about binoculars. Later they mention "Gold Ring products" once.

All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon, USA.

Riflescopes don't have prisms, only lenses. All the glass for the Gold Ring bins are imported.

The enclosure is made in the US and the bits are assembled in the USA. Just as I said before.

"Made in the USA" actually has a legal meaning though it's not a precise one.

http://www.ftc.gov/opp/madeusa/usa.shtm

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

What is a qualified Made in USA claim?
A qualified Made in USA claim describes the extent, amount or type of a product’s domestic content or processing; it indicates that the product isn’t entirely of domestic origin.

Example: "60% U.S. content." "Made in USA of U.S. and imported parts." "Couch assembled in USA from Italian Leather and Mexican Frame."

Assembled in USA Claims
A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.

Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computer’s components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

This is why Leupold don't claim it is "Made in the USA".

They would (I think) be able to claim "Made in USA of U.S. and imported parts." because they make that enclosure but curiously Leupold doesn't do that. Alternately depending upon how much transformation of the optical parts is required (none?) then they might be down to "Assembled in the USA".

Last edited:
I've been to there facility, Golden Ring products are indeed assembled there! Part's and glass do come from other sources! That was first hand from Leupold people!... Bryce

I...

The enclosure is made in the US and the bits are assembled in the USA. Just as I said before.

"Made in the USA" actually has a legal meaning though it's not a precise one.

http://www.ftc.gov/opp/madeusa/usa.shtm

This is why Leupold don't claim it is "Made in the USA".

They would (I think) be able to claim "Made in USA of U.S. and imported parts." because they make that enclosure but curiously Leupold doesn't do that. Alternately depending upon how much transformation of the optical parts is required (none?) then they might be down to "Assembled in the USA".

This FTC policy statement reminded me of a time shortly before NAFTA was signed when there as a major "Buy American" campaign for products made in America (unfortunately, this was before Toby was famous, or he would have been the poster boy :).

While I was, and still am, sympathetic with the plight of the American worker since it's my plight too and wrote an article criticizing NAFTA, it seemed that a bit of trickery was going on with some of those thar "Made in the USA" products.

A lot people at the time had "Buy American" bumper stickers on their big, gas guzzlin' American cars. So I did some digging to find out exactly just how "American" American cars really were.

I turned out that 40% of the parts (mostly electronics) in some American cars were foreign made (and that was in 1993 before the China boon), and a goodly portion of GM's cars were assembled in either Canada or Mexico, I forgot the exact percentage, but I'm sure that increased after NAFTA.

Ford was also using Mazda built transmissions in some of their cars, so more than 50% of those cars were foreign made when you add in the electronics.

I thought this was real eye opener, so I wrote an article about it in my newspaper, titled "Buy American or Lie American?"

Today, foreign-based manufacturers like Toyota can identify models like the Camry as "domestic" cars, because they meet the FTC criteria of having 75 percent or more of their parts made in the United States or Canada whereas Toby's Ford F-150 may be built "Ford tough" but by FTC standards it's less "American" than the Camry.

Whereas it is probably no shock to Europeans to see the label [Assembled with parts from more than one country] on various products from automobiles to binoculars, it's something that Americans, or at least some Americans like ole' "Bubba" above, are still trying to come to terms with.

Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world except for Lola.

Lo-lo-lo-lo LOLa.

Brock

Think Whisky, Brock! (or Whiskey, if you will.)

In the USA the mash used to make whisky must contain at least 51% of a specific grain in order for it to be designated "Straight" Rye, Corn, or what have you.B :)

The standard for cars appears to be lower.

Bob

The FTC definition is still full of holes big enough to drive a semi loaded with imported parts through.

Is the proportion of negligible content defined by cost, size of the parts or importance to the product?

If a USA company buys component from another USA company that imports the component from China does it count as USA content?

Do intangibles like brand name recognition, packaging and advertising figure into the USA content formula?

I remember reading about one company was re-labeled a product made in Indonesia as being made in USA because they counted all the value added by brand name recognition, advertising, etc., as costs. The direct product cost became negligible in their mind.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

It's all about transforming the atoms and where they originate from. Branding doesn't come into it.

You can say (as Apple does) "Designed in California. Made in China." BUt no matter how much brand identity or IP they stick in the product it's still not made in the USA.

Moving them through a US supplier or trying to count brand content is bogus (and I hope the FTC landed on that company for deceptive advertising) because it doesn't change were they were made (transformed from one thing into another).

The FTC guidelines are pretty clear (though of course there are blurry edges) but they are more strict than many imagine.

Last edited:
The Leupold Answer Guide
A search on their site brought up this:

Where are the Gold Ring binoculars made?
The Leupold Gold Ring binoculars are made in the U.S.A., manufacured at the Leupold factory in Beaverton, Oregon.

The Leupold Answer Guide
A search on their site brought up this:

Where are the Gold Ring binoculars made?
The Leupold Gold Ring binoculars are made in the U.S.A., manufacured at the Leupold factory in Beaverton, Oregon.

And Leupold is apparently silent on what the phrases "made in" and "manufactured at" really mean. Those phrases are intentionally vague. It's intended for most casual readers to get a warm and fuzzy feeling of nationalistic pride in thinking every part in those bins came from the good old U.S.A.

The country of origin is increasingly difficult to pin down and I would argue all but irrelevant when determining the quality of binoculars, cars, shoes or most any consumer good. The reputation of the specific manufacturer is most important. I really don't care where the parts come from and where they are assembled. I do care that Leupold designs their products carefully and monitors quality of all components no matter the source.

But country of origin labeling certainly attracts buyers, so I don't expect that much transparency in "Made In" labels will be coming any time soon.

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment of illusions of political grandeur,especially when it come to hunting optics.You have to play the NRA side of "They're going to take it away from you" to "keep everything American" So as a manufacturer trying to straddle the line,it must be a pain in the a**.You can't distance yourself too far from what your "core" buyers are......

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back