• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what new lens are you hoping they will make?? (1 Viewer)

wrogers

Just read the canon section, some great threads on what cameras/telephoto lenses people are wishing for...

I was just wondering what lenses you want 3rd party manufacturers to make?

I personally want a 200-400 F/4 with OS
either that, or a 400mm F/4 OS

what do you want them to make next??

Just read the canon section, some great threads on what cameras/telephoto lenses people are wishing for...

I was just wondering what lenses you want 3rd party manufacturers to make?

I personally want a 200-400 F/4 with OS
either that, or a 400mm F/4 OS

what do you want them to make next??

Cheap ones.......:t::t::t:

Would love a Sigma 600mm f4 with OS which matches the quality of the 500mm f4.5 at a reasonable price of course.

a return to the prices of a few years ago would be nice
(pre-recession!)

the 300mm F/2.8 has had a big fluctuation in price recently
was around £1350 back in march '08, but now it is at least £2000
same for the 300-800 F/5.6

I want them to make a 300-600 F/4-5.6.... now that would be nice!

but either way, lower prices and new, better lenses!!

I'll bite, but I'll warn you guys...I think about this stuff way too much.

Some of these ideas are lenses I'd love to see, others are lenses I think we might see.

400 1:4
500 1:5.6
600 1:5.6

These are all primes that should be made by Siggy or Tamron, IMO. OS or VC respectively would be ideal in this new world of stabilization.

xxx-400 1:4
xxx-500 1:5.6

In the same way that the Sigma 120-300 1:2.8 rules the roost for sports zooms, i think the Nikkor 200-400 1:4 seems to do the same for wildlife zooms. I'm shocked no one had attempted to build a competing similar focal length zoom.

Also, I think Tamron would do themselves (and us) a great service to redesign the old 200-500 by giving it a constant 1:5.6 aperture, VC, internal zoom, and of course even better IQ. I'd buy it.

Sigma should give the 120-300 and 300-800 zooms OS. Maybe reduce the range to reflect a 2x factor to improve IQ even more. 150-300 1:2.8 OS and 400-800 1:5.6 OS sound good to me.

Sorry, you asked.

Won't see it, but I'd love a resurrected Sigma 400 mm f/5.6 APO HSM prime that will work with modern Canon DSLRs...

I currently have a used 300 mm f/4 APO that works with my Canon 350D, but it just doesn't have enough reach for birds of prey on the wing. I did try a Kenko Pro 1.4x converter, but I got better results by blowing up the shots taken with just the bare lens a little further.

Last edited:
I'd like to see sigma upgrade their 150mm and 180mm macro lenses to include their latest OS system. It would also be nice for the 70mm and 105mm to be upgraded to at least the status of the 150mm and 180mm (that is HSM focusing, overall construction upgrade - though its still good even now - internal focusing would also be nice).

Aside from that since sigma seem to have a lot of liking for macro (they make 5 true macro prime lenses from 50mm to 180mm and many of their telephoto lenses have closer focusing abilities than many other companies) I'd like to see them try to break into the MPE65mm grounds and go for a 1:1 to 5:1 macro zoom (or maybe push to 6 or 7:1!)

Aside from that I would be good to see them improve on and release an updated 500mm zoom lens

It would however be just great if they could improve on their quality control so that it no longe becomes such a major problem for them. Half the time I see people notliking sigma its because of their quality control problems (and I am refering to things outside of the superzooms which even canon can't get quite right production wise - though things are better now than they were)

Aside from that I would be good to see them improve on and release an updated 500mm zoom lens

It would however be just great if they could improve on their quality control so that it no longe becomes such a major problem for them. Half the time I see people notliking sigma its because of their quality control problems (and I am refering to things outside of the superzooms which even canon can't get quite right production wise - though things are better now than they were)

I agree

My 150-500 is not as good as i thought when i first got it...
IQ has slowly got worse, not as sharp and colours not very saturated

I think a 200-500 F/5.6 would be nice too. I could then get a 70-200 F/2.8 to complete it!

as for macro lenses, canon have the MP-E 65mm, but nobody else has a similar lens.. as for adding USM (HSM for sigma) I think it should now be a standard except for the kit lens line-up

The current 300mm 2.8 with IS, a 400mm (5.6 to keep the price down) again with IS and at the same quality as the 300mm and the 500mm 4.5 with IS.

I'm surprised third party manufactures don't try to compete more with 'wildlife' lenses made by Nikon, Canon, etc.

With canon they already have three very strong options in the £1000-1200ish (rough guess with current prices) price range with the 100-400mm, 300mm f4 and 400mm f5.6 - all of which are big white L grade products.
For Sigma or Tamron or Tokina to get into that space its a hard fight to make something affordable, sharp and featured enough. They have done well with their 500mm superzooms (though quality control on them has badly damaged the overall view of sigma and also been a reason people do avoid those options). The trick is that they have to make this lens and then get it a good few £100 cheaper in order to get sales.

Add that into the fact that 3rd party glass comes without weather sealing features - that is the biggest downside they have for the keen wildlifer out in all weathers. The L grade glass might cost more but weather sealing is a very key feature and the few £100 more in cost for that alone is something that I think many would be willing to save for to get the added insurance that a little rainfall won't kill their setup or lead to internal lens problems (water and then mold)

Won't see it, but I'd love a resurrected Sigma 400 mm f/5.6 APO HSM prime that will work with modern Canon DSLRs...

While they are at it, they might as well make it a 400mm f/5.6 APO HSM OS.

Adding OS to the Bigma (50-500 HSM) would be a very good upgrade as well.

However, there are a couple of areas where Sigma can target specific holes in Canon's product line:

400mm f/4 EX DC HSM OS at around $3K price point: yes, it will be bigger, heavier than Canon's 400 DO, but at half the price, not many will complain...

500mm f/5.6 EX DC HSM OS at around $2K price point: this is a dream lens for a birder with a high pixel density DSLR with good high ISO performance...

If the Sigma 500mm f/5.6 OS prime manages to deliver real 500mm focal length (not 465mm like the Bigma) and a bit better image quality than the Bigma, I would buy one for sure...

I just wish Sigma would make a lens better than the one I have (the 100-400L) for around $3-4K.

The 300 F2.8 doesn't have OS, the 500 F4.5 doesn't AF with T/Cs. Plus they're directly competing against top class options from Canon/Nikon. I figure that if you're going to splash a lot of cash you may as well get the best even if it is quite a bit more expensive. If I got one of the above the nagging doubt that I should have bought the Canon would always be there.

A 400 F4 prime with OS would be the ticket. Say about ¥3-400,000. I'd buy that.

Micro 4/3rds versions of existing Sigma / Tamron / Tokina lenses would be great (Panasonic and Olympus are bringing out more new M4/3 cameras than lenses it seems).

Sigma introduced the new Bigma with image stabilization (50-500mm DG OS HSM) today. It is 320g heavier than the older Bigma w/o OS. The weight increase appears to be due to a larger front element in addition to the OS subsystem.
Interesting that Sigma should update the Bigma after releasing the 150-500. I have not seen any prices but would suspect that it is will be more expensive than the 150-500 (but, probably better!).

My ideal would be a Sigma, 500f4 and 600f4 prime with os weatherproofing etc etc, both costing about 2k each. canon or nikon are far too expensive for their primes. when you consider you can buy a motor-bike for that sort of money( and no I am not a biker). All things considered ie production costs design costs etc they must have recouped these costs by now. mike

My ideal would be a Sigma, 500f4 and 600f4 prime with os weatherproofing etc etc, both costing about 2k each. canon or nikon are far too expensive for their primes. when you consider you can buy a motor-bike for that sort of money( and no I am not a biker). All things considered ie production costs design costs etc they must have recouped these costs by now. mike
Considering that the current Sigma 500/4.5 non IS is still selling for around £3,800 I doubt if a 500/4 OS would be a lot less that £5k even if they did come up with such a lens. It would certainly be nice if they made one for around 2k but the trouble would be getting hold of one as there would probably be a 10 year waiting list ;)

Interesting that Sigma should update the Bigma after releasing the 150-500. I have not seen any prices but would suspect that it is will be more expensive than the 150-500 (but, probably better!).

I noticed in the announcement that the new Bigma no longer supports the 4/3 Olympus format. And I was hoping that Sigma would bring out micro 4/3 lenses - wishful thinking on my part.

Considering that the current Sigma 500/4.5 non IS is still selling for around £3,800 I doubt if a 500/4 OS would be a lot less that £5k even if they did come up with such a lens. It would certainly be nice if they made one for around 2k but the trouble would be getting hold of one as there would probably be a 10 year waiting list ;)

thats my ideal. no harm in dreaming a little, I am also dreaming we could have a few sunny days to get out. mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back